Special Events Facilitator - Aerospace Engineering (105244)
Special Events Facilitator
Department of Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Within the Department of Aerospace Engineering (AE), the incumbent will serve as the point of contact for special events in the department. This includes managing all aspects of planning and logistics for AE events, with special focus on alumni engagement, supporting all stewardship efforts for individual donors to the department, in addition to providing occasional administrative support to the AE Student Advising Office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Independently supervise facility arrangements for events, including guest list, securing venue, catering, overseeing the processing of rental agreements, speaker arrangements, and working with on-site venue staff to determine set-up. Events would include, but are not limited to, the Annual Awards Banquet, Commencement activities, board meetings, seminars, and special guest speakers.
- Using professional judgment, in collaboration with the Director, determine the guest list based on event purpose and campus protocol. Maintain confidentiality of the guest list.
- Using independent judgment and decision-making authority, locate and purchase necessary services and supplies for events (caterer, musicians, transportation, interpreters, etc.) by contacting vendor, negotiating pricing, obtaining quotes, and overseeing and initiating the Purchase Order procedure.
- Assist with event scheduling by overseeing the coordination of the availability of principals, venues, caterer, and vendors in relationship to the office's event calendar and the event's purpose.
- Schedule and manage communication with speakers, travel arrangements, vendors, participants, and attendees of all events.
- Manage the Department's events calendar, including listing public events on the College's Web Calendar.
- Attend and manage event on-site, including some evenings, weekends, 40+ hours/week, and travel.
- Maintain a database and assist with nomination and submission packets awards (internal and external) keeping track of deadlines, and gathering supporting documents.
- Create and maintain an alumni/industry speaker database for AE courses and Student organizations.
- Assist with alumni communication about events and help coordinate visits to campus, managing travel schedules and itinerary while on-site.
- Assist in updating alumni contact information in Tracking and Engagement Database (TED).
- Manage the acknowledgement program for Department donors, which includes producing weekly gift downloads and mail merges of appropriate thank you letters, entering acknowledgements into the TED database and other necessary follow-up.
- Assisting Director of Advancement in hosting alumni donors and constituents including, but not limited to, escorting guests on campus tours, picking up guests from airport, and ushering guests to various meetings.
- Assist undergraduate and graduate advisors to manage the department course schedule including, but not limited to: recording and meeting scheduling dates/deadlines and advising faculty and staff of the deadlines well in advance of due dates.
- Entering course changes into Banner, including changes to rooms, times, instructors, active/inactive courses, and creating new courses.
- Performing enrollment management via the class capacities functions in Banner; entering course space special requests in the spreadsheet provided by Facility Management Services and coordinate with CITL Office for Online Course Scheduling for Graduate Program.
- Facilitating Departmental Seminar Series including speaker itinerary and travel planning.
Assume additional appropriate duties to further the mission of the Department.
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Any combination totaling five years from the following categories:
- progressively more responsible business experience performing duties which included responsibility for special events coordination
- college course work with a concentration in business, marketing, advertising, public relations, human resource, communications or related areas as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
- Ability to coordinate multiple details required for overall planning
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions under pressure
- Ability to thrive in culturally diverse workplace
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with the public, students, other University staff, and multiple audiences
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Proficiency in computer skills
- Work outside the typical hours of the standard workday may be required for special events, including evenings and occasional weekends and occasional travel may be required.
- Besides physical movement to escort guests between buildings and across the Campus, the position consists of no unusual physical demands.
This is a full-time Civil Service Special Events Facilitator position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after December 17, 2018. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (transcripts or diploma) by December 17, 2018. An online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Leslie Lewin Reinhart ([email protected]).
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Title: Special Events Facilitator - Aerospace Engineering (105244)
Open Date: 12/03/2018
Close Date: 12/17/2018
Organization Name: Aerospace Engineering