Graduate Assistant (Teaching), Computer Science
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Graduate Assistant
Location: Main Campus
Division: Graduate Employment
The Teaching Graduate Assistant performs direct instruction as a majority of their service. Working closely with one or more faculty members or lecturers, assist with the instruction of undergraduate students either directly through in-class contact or tutoring or through indirect course facilitation or grading.
The Teaching Graduate Assistant receives a stipend and a tax-exempt tuition waiver.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Assist instructors in teaching classes or labs, able to teach a lower level computer science class or lab such as COSC 111/112, grading, research support, tutoring, and maintaining the department website.
• Ability to work up to 20 hours per week is required.
• GPA of 3.0 or higher is required.
• Admission and enrollment in a graduate program is required.
• Maintenance of a 67% course completion is required.
• Enrollment in at least 6 credits for Fall and Winter semesters is required.
• Preferred major is Computer Science
• Above average communication skill
• Solid background in the Java programming language
• Some assembly language, Linux, or scripting language experience also desired.
Required Documents (please attach in order to be considered):
1. Cover letter
3. Two letters of recommendation, preferably at least one such letter from an instructor at EMU.
For a full-time GA appointment, the University provides a tuition scholarship for up to 18 credit hours in each academic year (September 1 to August 31) of the assistantship.
For graduate assistants who are appointed to part-time positions and for GAs who begin employment after the start of the semester, the number of credit hours covered by the award will be prorated.
Click here for more benefit related information.
Are you currently enrolled within a graduate-level program (or higher) with Eastern Michigan University?
If your response to the question above was "No," do you have an application currently pending for a graduate-level program (or higher) with Eastern Michigan University?
- Previous answer was "Yes"
Please indicate the graduate/doctoral-level program(s) with Eastern Michigan University in which you are currently enrolled or for which you have an application pending.
Do you acknowledge that your tuition waiver may be taxable beyond $5250 per year?
* Required Question