Disability Specialist 2
8AM - 5PM
Commensurate with Experience
The Student Disability Resource Center provides services for students with various permanent or temporary disabilities that medically, cognitively, or psychologically impede academic progress. These disabilities may include: learning disabilities; attention deficit disorder; autism, visual, mobility, or hearing impairments; psychological disabilities; chronic systemic disorders (e.g., lupus, Crohn's disease, multiple sclerosis, diabetes); fractures, strains, or stress injuries. The Disability Specialist is independently responsible for all student intake functions of the unit and is responsible for insuring that each student understands the internal and external services available to them and the processes to obtain services. He or she performs research, assesses needs, provides disability management counseling, and collaborates with the Associate Director and Director in developing and administering programs which assist the campus in meeting its obligation to students with disabilities as required by applicable Federal and State laws and University policy. They also develops and provides training and education to students, faculty, staff, prospective students, and parents on issues of sensitivity and inclusion for people with disabilities and services provided by the department.
Skill in communicating with students, faculty, staff, and vendors concerning access accommodations.
Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Skill in communicating and responding appropriately to the needs of students with a wide range of disabilities.
Ability to work effectively independently or as part of a team, and to work with diverse groups.
Ability to independently compose letters, memos, reports, and articles using MS Word or similar word processing software with proper grammar.
Skills in using desktop publishing software, adaptive technology, word processing software.
Demonstrated ability to interact with tact and sensitivity with a wide range of individuals, including students, families, staff, faculty, and members of the community, in a high-volume public contact setting.
Keen ability to attention to detail.
Knowledge of the legal framework involving accommodations for disabilities through state and federal laws and regulations in relation to the narrow focus of specialization.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview