Requisition # 2018-9658
Department Health Services
Category Health Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Part-Time
Princeton University is seeking a self-motivated, knowledgeable, energetic, and flexible nursing professional to serve as a registered nurse within University Health Services. This position entails being cross-trained to support the nursing roles within outpatient medical triage, sexual health & wellness, allergy & immunizations, and Infirmary Services. Outpatient Services are open M-F throughout the year, while the Infirmary Service is open September through June.
The position is a full-time benefits eligible position.
University Health Services (UHS) at Princeton University is a fully accredited (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, or “AAAHC”) health care facility. Located in the McCosh Health Center, the Caldwell Field House and Dillon Gym, UHS provides comprehensive health services to more than 7,500 Princeton undergraduate and graduate students, and specialized services to Princeton University faculty, staff, and employees who experience work-related injuries and illnesses, or who require consultations regarding international and travel medicine.
UHS's mission is to enhance learning and student success by advancing the health and well-being of our diverse University community. This mission is pursued and supports the University's purpose by using current knowledge of health and human development to guide responsive, high quality clinical, prevention, and consultation services.
UHS's values are Respect & Compassionate Care; Integrity & Service Excellence; Collaboration & Innovative Solutions; & Engagement & Lifelong Learning.
UHS hires individuals of all backgrounds. We build on our staff's diversity--recognizing, valuing, and appreciating the different perspectives, talents and energy of all. UHS invites all its employees to make a valuable contribution in this regard. We firmly believe that being an inclusive and culturally responsive community is one of the foundations of a vibrant, relevant organization. We aspire to develop the mindsets, knowledge and abilities to build equitable and inclusive systems, teams and culture.
The nurse in the role of “Triage” determines the acuity and severity of patient symptoms in order to determine priority of care, and monitors the patient until a disposition or medical evaluation occurs. The triage nurse seeks to maintain operational effectiveness of the outpatient clinic by triaging patients appropriately, managing departmental patient flow, and providing nursing support for physicians and advanced practice clinicians. The triage nurse also provides independent nurse visits to students not requiring a physician visit.
In the role of Sexual Health and Wellness (SHAW) RN, the registered nurse provides counseling, education, evaluation and treatment of issues related to sexual and reproductive health and gynecological concerns to a diverse population, in an inclusive and non-judgmental manner, including but not limited to, birth control discussions, sexually transmitted disease testing, and options counseling. The Registered Nurse also provides support to the Nurse Practitioners, physicians, and OB/GYN specialists.
The nurse in the role of Allergy and Immunization Services RN provides allergy immunotherapy injections, travel related and routine immunizations. The Registered Nurse maintains contact with students' allergists.
The Infirmary is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, during the academic year from September to June, providing nursing care to students. The Infirmary follows written protocols and has 24 hour physician back-up. Additional support is provided by a second nurse and a nursing assistant.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Licensed as a registered nurse in the state of New Jersey
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (BSN)
- A minimum of 3 years nursing experience in an acute care setting
- Triage experience
- Ability to perform physical assessments independently
- BLS certification
- Delegation skills
- Ability to physically ambulate/move patients
- Ability to move frequently throughout unit and stand for periods of time
- Good judgment and independent thinking
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage diverse tasks, often with interruptions
- Ability to dispense prescribed medications in accordance with protocols
- Computer literacy, including Email, ability to learn Medicat, and ability to use Excel (documentation is an important aspect of this position)
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies, including ability to obtain IV access and administer medications intramuscularly
- Ability to maintain an inventory
- Skilled in Immunization administration and Allergy injections or willingness to learn
- Background in the essentials of travel planning, or willingness to learn
- Vaccine knowledge, knowledge of vaccine procedures and adverse reactions, or willingness to learn
- Knowledge of birth control, sexually transmitted infections, and options counseling, or the willingness to learn
- Outpatient/Ambulatory Care experience
- College Health experience
- Recent emergency department experience
- Experience working autonomously in a supervisory position
- ACLS certification
Standard Weekly Hours
Work Schedule, If Other Than Standard Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.