Oral Health Science Department Chair
The University of Kentucky College of Dentistry is currently seeking an Oral Health Science Department Chair with a proven ability to provide dynamic leadership in a complex environment. This position reports directly to the Dean and is an integral part of the college's administration. The Department Chair oversees the activities of the Divisions of: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pediatric Dentistry, Adult Dentistry (General Practice Residency), Oral Pathology, Orofacial Pain, Orthodontics, and Public Health Dentistry which include 34 full-time and 19 part-time faculty. The chair will establish a vision and strategic plan for the Department and its Divisions in collaboration with the Division Chiefs and the department faculty members based on a broad knowledge of academic dentistry, accreditation, and fiscal and administrative management that complements the mission of the University of Kentucky and the College of Dentistry.
Additional responsibilities of this position are to:
• Guide the Department of Oral Health Science in fulfilling UK's College of Dentistry's educational, clinical, research and service missions
• Oversee the department faculty in its development of academic policies, pre-and post-doctoral curriculum, clinical activities, and fulfillment of academic functions
• Fiscal responsibility for Departmental operation, oversite and growth
• Support the academic and department budgetary interests to the administration
Qualified applicants should possess the following qualities:
• Proven leadership skills, including transparent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and team building skills to solve problems
• Ability to foster a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives to attract, recruit, and retain top faculty, staff, and students
• Passion for mentoring and supporting the professional development of faculty
• A proven track record as a clinician and administrative leader demonstrated by innovative leadership that fosters and cultivates partnerships within the college and externally
• Inspiring innovative thinking about new ways to deliver education and patient care, as well as allocate faculty resources to ensure success
• Excellent interpersonal skills that enhance collaborative activities
• Visionary skills associated with strategic planning
• Broad knowledge of issues in dental education, accreditation requirements, and the need for dental education advancement
For additional information about UK Dentistry visit: https://dentistry.uky.edu/ To learn more about this exceptional leadership position, contact Mary Beth Bracken ([email protected]). To be considered for this position, individuals must submit a UK Jobs application and include a CV, cover letter, and contact information of three references when prompted in the application. References will not be contacted and reference letters will not be required until finalists are selected.
For full consideration, it is preferred that applications be submitted by Tuesday, November 6th, 2018. However application review will continue until the position is filled.
Oral Health Science Department Chair
7A800:DENTISTRY ORAL HEALTH SCIENCE
Type of Position
Position Time Status
DMD, DDS, or BDS degree or equivalent
Required Related Experience
Currently ranked as an Associate Professor or Professor in a College of Dentistry, and experience as a member of a clinical staff
Record of scholarly activity
Administrative leadership experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Currently or able to obtain dental licensure in the State of Kentucky
Ability to relate and communicate with internal and external faculty, staff and other clients of the College of Dentistry
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Budget management experience, Board Certification in discipline (if applicable)
Open Untill Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System?
- UK's Executive Recruiter
- The Chronicle of HIgher Education
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Academic Keys
- A colleague, friend, and/or family member
- None of the above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter