Legal Operations Director/C3
The Director of Legal Operations (DLO) will design, build, implement, promote, and manage the legal services component of the Commonwealth Commercialization Center (C3) suite of services. The DLO will liaise with all relevant stakeholders, including C3 staff, private attorneys, law firms, the Kentucky Bar Association, eight Kentucky public universities, three Kentucky law schools, C3 clients, and other stakeholders in the state's entrepreneurial and legal ecosystems. The DLO will leverage these relationships to develop a healthy pipeline of clients in need of legal services that connects to a robust network of vetted, quality legal services providers, and then will monitor those resultant individual relationships on an ongoing basis to ensure successful attorney-client outcomes. A successfully built and governed C3 legal services component will serve to bolster the state's overall entrepreneurial and legal ecosystems by providing learning opportunities and improving connectivity for law students, private attorneys, and the entrepreneurial client populations they aim to serve.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Foster ongoing and mutually beneficial relationships with relevant stakeholders in order to design, build, implement, promote, and manage the legal services component of the C3 suite of services.
• Develop well-known and efficient pathways to connect C3 clients to quality legal services.
• Monitor ongoing attorney-client relationships to ensure successful attorney-client outcomes.
• Teach, facilitate, support, and/or promote law school and continuing legal education courses designed to teach start-up law to future and current attorneys, thereby increasing the available pool of start-up legal talent within the state.
• Represent C3 at networking, educational, and other events in the Kentucky legal and entrepreneurial ecosystems.
• Assist C3 leadership in other ways deemed central to the overall development and ongoing success of C3 operations.
Due to the statewide nature of the job, working locations will vary as needs dictate. In general, the position will require travel to Lexington approximately 1-2 days/week and regular travel to stakeholder locations, including Frankfort and law school locations in Lexington, Louisville, and/or Highland Heights, approximately 1 day/week.
Legal Operations Director/C3
40420:Office of Technology Commercialization
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
sitting for long periods of time; repetitive motion related to computer work; regular travel within the state
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
KY Bar Association certification preferred
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter