Lecturer in Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, KY invites applicants for two full-time Lecturer positions beginning in Fall 2019. The initial contract is for two years and may be renewed indefinitely, subject to performance. Lecturers are eligible for promotion to the rank of Senior Lecturer after a minimum of 5 years. Lecturers are vital to the teaching mission of the mathematics department. The Lecturer will teach primarily first year mathematics courses as well as some second and third year courses and perform administrative duties associated with the lower-division mathematics program. Lecturers have responsibility for developing the curriculum in our first year service courses. Lecturers will normally teach three courses per semester and carry out administrative duties.
Applicants should have a Ph.D. degree in mathematics or closely related fields by the time the appointment begins and are expected to present evidence of excellence in teaching.
In order to be considered a candidate, applicants will need to complete the following two steps:
1. Submit your job market materials to MathJobs.Org. These materials should include: the standard AMS Cover Sheet for Academic Employment, a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement on teaching experience, quantitative assessments of teaching, a statement on inclusion, diversity, and equity (described below), and at least three (3) letters of reference including letters addressing teaching and supervision of teaching. Evidence of experience or interest in teaching large classes or coordinating classes is valued. All application materials must be submitted online at https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/13315
As a department and university, we are strongly committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all (see http://www.uky.edu/sotu/diversity-and-inclusivity). For your statement on inclusion, diversity, and equity, in one to two pages, applicants are asked to reflect on their commitments, approaches, and insights related to inclusion, diversity, and equity.
2. Complete an application within the University of Kentucky employment system
This position is one of two being hired for Mathematics. It is recommended that, if submitting an application for this position, that candidates also submit their application materials for the second position found here
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Applications submitted by January 15, 2019 will receive full consideration.
For more information about the department, please visit http://www.math.uky.edu.
Lecturer in Mathematics
Type of Position
Position Time Status
PhD in Mathematics or closely related field by the time the appointment begins
Required Related Experience
Evidence of excellence in teaching
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Open Untill Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Academic Keys
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the above