Project and Events Manager, University Communications
Hyde Park Campus
71687 Vice President Office - Comm
About the Unit
University Communications focuses on building the brand, enhancing the reputation and growing public understanding of the University of Chicago, where rigorous inquiry shapes fields, creates a transformative education and experience, and confronts the most important problems of our time. The communications team in collaboration with UChicago Creative, the University's in-house creative agency, specializes in content creation, media relations, public affairs, brand strategy, and video and audio production for the University, while serving as a communication partner and center of excellence across UChicago.
The University of Chicago, Office of Communications, is seeking a Project and Events Manager who will play an integral role in managing and providing strategic guidance for high-profile external initiatives/campaigns. The candidate must be an exceptional project manager with attention to detail, highly organized and a strong communicator. The right candidate will be a self-starter who is willing and able to roll up his/her sleeves and accomplish tasks in a fast-paced environment.
The Project and Events Manager reports to Executive Director, Communications Strategy and Chief of Staff for the Office of Communications.
- Provide strategic communications support and project management for external initiatives and campaigns in partnership with various internal units, institutes, and schools to help maximize exposure and visibility, and ensure the University's core values, priorities and messages are reflected in these efforts.
- Ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
- Develop project plan to include communication goals, timelines, and deliverables.
- Collaborate with News office content writers, UChicago Creative (In-house marketing), media relations and social media teams to ensure public relations' campaigns/initiatives are successfully implemented.
- Coordinate all activities of the campaign/initiative and ensure that project tasks are completed by: scheduling and facilitating project-related team meetings (i.e. kick-offs, status, internal reviews, etc.), communicating action steps to team, and delivering weekly status reports to project team and Chief of Staff.
- Responsible for raising and maintaining awareness of all project issues and risks and identifying and driving solutions agreed upon by the appropriate members of the project team.
- Support implementation of internal events, including logistics and content (agendas, presentations, video, external speakers, etc.) for internal meetings of all sizes.
- Develop and implement metrics to assess the effectiveness and impact.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to manage and influence multiple internal stakeholders.
- Self-motivated go-getter with a positive attitude; ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative.
- Exceptional time and project management and organizational skills including the ability to meet external and internal deadlines.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, proofreading, problem-solving, decision-making, client and cross-department collaboration skills.
- Strong business acumen and emotional intelligence
Education, Experience, or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field required
- 8+ years managing projects or events, and/or public relations' campaigns required, preferably in a large, matrixed organization
All required documents must be submitted to be considered for this position
- Cover Letter
- Reference list
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/