Job Number: 81353
Job Code: 4272
Job Grade: H
STANFORD Magazine is an award-winning publication of the Stanford Alumni Association, whose principal goal is to foster lifelong engagement with the university's alumni. It is published five times annually in print, and digitally at Stanfordmag.org.
The senior writer is a key member of the editorial team, charged with identifying, researching and producing a rich and diverse collection of stories about the university, its people and its activities. We are looking for an enterprising and imaginative storyteller with a deep appreciation for the work of a world-class teaching and research institution, and the intellectual breadth to cover a wide range of subjects. The senior writer must have a sophisticated understanding of how to engage readers in both a print publication and on digital and mobile platforms, and the versatility to develop content in both narrative and nonnarrative forms.
This is a part-time, 80 percent position. Finalists will be asked to complete a freelance writing assignment. Please see application instructions below.
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Research and write roughly 10 feature stories annually, as well as a handful of shorter stories each month. Must possess the ability to conduct thorough, accurate reporting on diverse subjects, from neutrino physics to the history of Stanford football to economic inequality.
- Pitch stories on a wide range of subjects in advance of biweekly story committee meetings. Develop collaborative working relationships with a network of sources, including faculty, staff, students and alumni.
- Collaborate with a creative team of editors and designers on story selection, headline writing, manuscript critiques and presentation.
- Manage production of own stories, and adhere to deadlines.
- Maintain department style standards.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five years of related experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience as a reporter and writer in a journalistic environment preferred.
- Exceptional narrative writing ability.
- Demonstrated excellence in longform storytelling on a variety of topics.
- Intellectual curiosity and creativity.
- Experience producing content for multiple formats, including digital platforms.
- Proven ability to cover a demanding news beat.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, with varying deadlines.
- Experience with video/audio interviewing is helpful.
- Familiarity with Stanford and higher education is desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, and use a telephone, writing by hand.
- Occasionally reach/work above shoulders, grasp forcefully, and sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Visual and auditory acuity, including color vision required.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Occasional travel.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford's dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves on fostering a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter, resume and 3-to-5 feature clips along with your online application.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Location: Alumni Association, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency