Dean, College of Education
Dean, College of Education
Plans, organizes, and directs the programs, activities, and functions of the College of Education. Represents the university for educator preparation in all areas and is responsible for federal, state, and local compliance for educator preparation. Supervises department chairs, faculty, and support staff in the college. Coordinates all educator preparation accreditation for the university.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Oversees the work of academic department chairs and support staff (including Educator Preparation Information Center staff), providing direction concerning a variety of administrative and academic issues such as budgeting, planning and goal setting, curriculum, program development, personnel, class scheduling, policy interpretation, and accreditation of educator preparation programs. Represents the university for accountability of educator preparation at institutional, state, and national levels.
2. Reviews and approves candidates degree plans; coordinates candidate admission to the educator certification program, and student teaching; certifies the completion of all academic requirements for candidate graduation and recommendation for educator certification. Provides academic advice and guidance to current or prospective candidates. Analyzes and resolves candidate, academic, and administrative problems and conflicts in an effective manner.
3. Participates in promotion and tenure review activities; evaluates staff performance and provides counseling and feedback as appropriate. Provides professional development opportunities in support of both teaching and research.
4. Provides oversight and support to online programs as well as an overall technology-rich environment.
5. Works with academic department chairs and other personnel in the development of the annual budget for the college; monitors department expenditures and insures compliance with State regulations and university policies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of academic programs of the college, both traditional and online; knowledge of applicable university policies, procedures, and practices; principles and practices of effective management and employee supervision; principles and practices of adult education and employee training; budget preparation and administration; legislative action and state statutes that address educator preparation; Higher Education and Texas Education Code; educator preparation State and national accreditation standards online teaching and accountability.
Ability to plan, organize, implement, direct and evaluate academic and related programs and functions; coordinate effectively a variety of programs and activities, including in an online environment; provide effective direction and supervision to department chairs, support staff, and others, as appropriate; interpret and correctly apply university policies and procedures, state statutes, educator preparation standards; analyze problems and determine appropriate solutions; use a variety of accountability software.
Skill in oral and written communication; interpersonal relations, project planning and implementation, leadership.
Possession of an appropriate terminal degree in an academic discipline appropriate to the College of Education. Two years of experience as an academic department chair, or the equivalent. Experience as a classroom teacher and/or other school personnel. Experience working with an online program.
Experience developing an online program or teaching on-line courses. Agenda that supports growth of online programs.
Position requires prolonged periods of sitting, and intermittent standing, walking, reaching, bending, and grasping. Ability to travel both in state and nationally.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected]