Administrative Assistant 3 - Department of Engineering & Design
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics seeks an experienced professional Administrative Assistant 3 to provide support to our Department of Engineering & Design. This new position is available now.
Administrative Assistants perform varied administrative and support duties. Positions are delegated higher-level administrative duties and/or are delegated one or more major program activities as a stand-alone function and responsibility, and which would otherwise be performed by the supervisor.
This position will provide a wide variety of administrative support for the Department of Engineering & Design, which includes multiple distinct programs - mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, technology, and visual communication design. The person hired for this position must have demonstrated experience and/or ability to perform the following essential functions:
- Fulfill delegated administrative functions related to budget: budget preparation and management; develop budget estimates; monitor budget status and expenditures; maintain, initiate and/or approve expenditures on program budgets; coordinate equipment purchases;
- Support budgeting and administration of grants, grant proposals, and grant proposals;
- Coordinate and oversee day-to-day department operations, function as the department representative and resource, and have extensive contact with students, program participants and outside entities;
- Monitor department and program activities; resolve problems within delegated scope of authority; exercise independent judgment in interpreting and applying rules and regulations;
- Provide independent information and advice to students, staff, program participants and/or the public;
- Coordinate personnel matters for both staff and faculty, such as recruitment, appointment, and promotion, and in collaboration with college staff;
- Provide secretarial support to Department Chair; keep supervisor's calendar; makes travel arrangements for the department; screens, prioritizes, and distributes mail; transcribes minutes, screens calls and visitors;
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our student, faculty, staff, and the public.
This position requires a mastery of multi-tasking, and the ability to coordinate and track data, documents and events for multiple people and purposes. Exemplary candidates will be capable of navigating a dynamic environment utilizing organization and efficiency. Individual hired for the position will be responsible for independently planning, organizing, and prioritizing work of the position to meet internal and external deadlines. Position will be responsible for initiating action to ensure individual and department tasks and goals are met.
Screening of applications will begin January 4th; applications for this position will be accepted at least through that date. All materials will be held in strict confidence, and references will not be contacted prior to candidate notification.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
- High school graduation or equivalent; at least two years' college coursework or completed degree is strongly preferred;
- At least 3 years' full time work experience in a similar position providing administrative support; to be considered qualifying, your experience must meet the following criteria:
- 3 years' experience must be beyond entry level work
- Work experience must include responsibility for budgets and fiscal activities
- Work experience must demonstrate both (1) ability to successfully handle a demanding workload with overlapping deadline; and (2) proven attention to detail, initiative and ability to take direction and work independently;
- Strong computer skills, including all of the following:
- MS Office - Ability to perform complex tasks such as merge fields, design tables, create spreadsheets to develop and maintain records;
- Database management - Ability to create new databases, enter data, sort, import/export files in database, create reports;
- Overall knowledge - Intermediate skills with the ability to troubleshoot own workstation and to train others on software;
- Ability to navigate various screens to gather information;
- Email - Ability to send messages to multiple recipients, make contact lists, send attachments;
- Internet - Ability to efficiently search and retrieve information;
- Ability to assist others with computer problems - email, internet, word processing and other basic hardware and software issues as requested; and
- Ability to learn website maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is sensitive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of the students, faculty, administrators and external contacts
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration or related field;
- Additional years' work experience performing similar administrative support functions beyond the required 3 years' experience
- Full time work experience in higher education
- 2 or more years' experience using university administrative systems, or equivalent, such as Blackboard/Canvas, EagleNet, Banner and others
Other Skills and Abilities:
See Job Summary for desired skills and abilities