Director of Student Accounts
The Director of Student Accounts is a dedicated professional responsible for providing seamless operations and superior service to students, their families and members of the university. This position reports to the Vice President for Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM). As a highly visible representative of The New School and integral member of the SEM senior team the Director of Student Accounts leads all operational functions of the Student Accounts Office, establishes policies, procedures and guidelines, and provides expert advice and counsel to the Vice President for Strategic Enrollment Management. Additionally, the Director is responsible for: developing process and service improvements within Student Accounts, managing a team of Associate Directors, leading customer service provision, and serving as a key leader for technological innovations within SEM.
The incumbent leads with integrity and transparency; employs analytical problem solving, and communication skills to elevate the enterprise of providing excellent student accounts services. The Director skillfully builds trust and relationships with integral and external stakeholders and is comfortable engaging with a diverse student body. The ideal candidate for this role is a strategic thinker who thrives in a collaborative environment and is interested in exploring new and innovative models for higher education.
- Responsible for the overall management, continuous improvement, training, and service improvement delivery in the Student Accounts Office.
- Supervise the processing of cash receipts and student refunds and maintain compliance with federal cash management regulations. Implement and maintain appropriate cash controls within Student Financial Services.
- Supervise the timely and accurate posting of cash receipts and other applicable items, and provide oversight for general ledger reconciliation.
- Provide various reports and analyses in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices, and review accounting and internal controls to determine that they are operating effectively.
- Oversee the tuition payment plan, implement collection policies, interact with outside collection agencies, and project cash inflow from the collection of receivables.
- Collaborate effectively with the Office of the Registrar, IT and other key departments across the university.
- Act as a key collaborator and trusted partner within the Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) division which includes Student Accounts, Financial Aid and Admissions.
- Interact with internal and external auditors and participate in auditing projects. Provide support to Student Financial Services and the Finance and Business Office in responding to A-133 and internal audit requirements in a timely fashion.
- Participate in the on-going review of administrative computing issues, and identify and implement technology solutions.
- Coordinate, supervise, and review the work of staff members, participate in the hiring process and train and instruct staff members on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure the provision of excellent customer service to students, parents, faculty and staff.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Vice President for SEM.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or a related field.
- Ten years of progressively responsible and related full-time work experience.
- Five years of Student Accounts and/or Financial Aid related experience.
- Experience with student information systems.
- Experience and enthusiasm for customer service.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Experience with Banner, TouchNet applications.