Coordinator Intramural Sports
Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 12-03-2018
The mission of Campus Recreation is to enhance the quality of life of our unique members by educating and encouraging the active participation in recreational opportunities that develop leadership skills, foster social interaction and reinforce healthy behaviors.
This position is responsible for the daily operation of assigned Competitive Sport activities. The Competitive Sport program includes Intramural Sports and Sport Clubs with special events occurring for both areas. This position has its primary focus on Intramural Sports but will participate in the management of Sport Clubs as assigned. The position is responsible for training and mentoring a large number of students and may supervise up to 2 graduate assistants. The position has program and policy development expectations and is a member as part of the Campus Recreation leadership team.
1. Bachelor's Degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g., Kinesiology, Physical Education, or
closely related field)*
2. Two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the promotion, design, development, and administration of recreational programs*
3. Current Certification/Licensure, from a nationally recognized professional organization, requiring continuing education and/or ongoing documentation of proficiency in specialty area required of position such as certified pool operator, first aid instructor, lifeguard certification, CPR, AED, personal training, the Group Fitness Instructor Certification from the American Council on Exercise (ACE) or the Personal Trainer Certification from the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) or similar license/certification etc.)
*Note: An advanced degree (Master's or higher) in Kinesiology, Physical Education, Exercise Science, or closely related field may substitute in meeting the qualifications in number 1 and count for one year of experience in number 2 above.
**Master's degree will count towards experience if earned prior to start date. Applicant will be required to provide transcripts at that time (may be unofficial).
1. Master's degree preferred.
2. Valid driver's license and/or ability to obtain valid driver's license.
3. Demonstrated experience successfully managing a competitive sports program.
4. Demonstrated experience in sports officiating and league scheduling.
5. Familiarity with inspecting facility for risk management or maintenance concerns and resolving problems independently prior to activity.
6. Demonstrated experience in the training and supervision of student employees and volunteers to accomplish program operations.
7. Availability to work flexible shifts, evenings and weekends depending on activities being offered.
8. Ability to communicate proficiently both verbally and in writing.
9. Familiarity with a broad range of facility and sports equipment and the ability to maintain equipment inventory including procurement and rental operations.
10. Experience with successful event management and/or coordination.
11. Familiarity and comfort with Fusion or similar software package.
12. Possess American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor certification or must obtain within the first year of employment.
13. Certified high school official in at least one of the following sports; football, basketball, soccer, baseball, softball or volleyball.
14. Experience conducting leadership development sessions and advising Sport Club Council.
15. Familiarity and comfort with IMLeagues or similar league scheduler.
16. Demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite 2010 or equivalent product.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.