Kinesiology Instructor Full-time Tenure Track Fall 2019
MONTEREY PENINSULA COLLEGE
invites applications for the position of:
Kinesiology Instructor Full-time Tenure Track Fall 2019
SALARY: $54,118.00 - $73,386.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 12/01/18
CLOSING DATE: 02/01/19 11:59 PM
Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) seeks a full-time tenure track Kinesiology Instructor. The Physical Education Division is seeking an individual who will provide instruction and leadership for the kinesiology program and lecture courses. The successful candidate will also teach courses in group fitness which may include, Yoga, Dance Aerobics, and Swimming for Fitness. Assignments may include both day and evening courses at the Monterey Campus or Marina Education Center, as well as weekend classes and/or online instruction.
Full time faculty have responsibilities outside the classroom through contributions to the department, division and the college which include curriculum development, assessment, evaluation, and participation in student achievement and success. Faculty are expected to engage in campus life and become involved in college committees.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
• Provide leadership and expertise in developing kinesiology certificates, degree programs, and building transfer pathways to four-year institutions.
• Develop curriculum and participate in course approval and program review processes
• Engage in activities that enhance the department's rapport with area high schools, colleges, businesses.
• Engage and collaborate with the anatomy and physiology departments to support student learning and success.
• Evaluate student work using clear, objective criteria based on student learning outcomes and learning objectives.
• Provide classroom instruction and physical fitness expertise in a variety of skills and activities in the physical fitness and physical education programs by developing and using a variety of effective teaching and assessment methods.
• Utilize teaching, coaching, and academic advising approaches that meet the educational needs of students from diverse ethnic, cultural, gender, socioeconomic, and academic backgrounds, including students with disabilities.
• Contribute to the Physical Education Division budget development by advising the Division Chair of program needs.
• Participate in the physical education schedule development process.
• Maintain and submit accurate records according to published deadlines (e.g., grades, syllabi, census reports).
• Participate in faculty recruitment.
• Hold required office hours and attend division meetings.
• Carry out collegial responsibilities including, but not limited to, institutional committee assignments, student recruitment and retention, and participation in participatory governance committees and campus life activities.
• Communicate and work cooperatively with colleagues within the discipline and college- wide on matters regarding course offerings, programs, and activities that enhance the development of the department and college.
• Pursue professional development and remain current in the field through course work, conferences, workshops, and other appropriate means.
• Perform duties described in Board policy, the Faculty Handbook, the Monterey Peninsula College Teachers Association (MPCTA) Contract, and as assigned at the Monterey campus, the Education Center at Marina, and/or other designated locations. Assignments may include online, day, evening, and weekend assignments at all locations where courses are offered by Monterey Peninsula Community College District.
• Master's degree in kinesiology, physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise or adaptive physical education
• Bachelor's in any of the above AND Master's degree in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration or physical therapy
• The equivalent. (Equivalency Forms (click here) must be submitted for consideration)
• A sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
*Note: Graduate students currently working on a Master's degree are encouraged to apply, with the understanding that the degree must be completed and confirmed by July 1, 2019.
1. Experience teaching lecture courses in kinesiology or exercise science.
2. Demonstrated ability to teach a broad spectrum of group exercise and physical fitness related courses.
3. Evidence of additional education/certification related to group fitness activities.
4. Knowledge of fitness program modifications for working with students of varying abilities.
5. Demonstrated commitment to developing life skills and high behavioral and educational standards in students.
6. Previous coaching experience at the high school or intercollegiate level.
Personal and Professional Qualifications
1. Commitment to community college teaching
2. Demonstrated ability to work in cooperation with staff, colleagues, and students
3. Demonstrated ability to promote student success and retention through advising and monitoring academic progress in cooperation with the counseling department
4. Effective oral and written communication skills
5. Ability to meet the needs of community college learners with diverse backgrounds and a wide range of skills and goals
WORK SCHEDULE / SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION:
Anticipated Starting Compensation
Initial salary placement is based on the current full-time salary schedule and on verification of education and experience. Starting salary is $54,118 to $73,386 annually. Summer teaching opportunities may be available for additional compensation. In addition to the base salary, the successful candidate can also earn an annual Doctoral stipend of $2,968 or an annual multiple Masters' stipend of $2,104.
Monterey Peninsula College provides an excellent fringe benefits package, including premium medical and dental coverage for employees and dependents, and a vision plan, life insurance and long term disability benefits for the employee only. Monterey Peninsula College contributes to the State Teachers' Retirement System. Participation in tax deferred plans is available.
Assignment & Anticipated Start Date
The assigned work year is 175.5 days per academic year. The assignment will include 15 teaching load units (TLUs) plus five office hours per week. The selected candidate will participate in campus wide events beginning on August 12, 2019. Fall semester begins August 16, 2019.
A completed application and supplemental materials must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. PST February 1, 2019. Monterey Peninsula College reserves the right to close, continue, cancel, postpone or restart the recruitment at any time.
To be considered for review, applicants must submit the following application materials online:
• Completed Online Application including the Diversity Statement and
• Cover Letter addressing the Desirable, Personal and Professional Qualifications (PDF)
• Résumé or Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
• Unofficial Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework. Official copies will be required at the time of hire. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by the applicant's expense. Click on the following link for a list of agencies with evaluation services. List of Agencies Performing Evaluations on Foreign Transcripts
• Supplemental Questions
1. Please list your experience teaching lecture courses.
2. Please list your experience teaching group fitness.
3. Please describe your vision for the growth and development of the kinesiology department at MPC (limit your response to one page).
Only items listed above will be reviewed by the screening committee. Please upload your materials as PDF files and use file names that clearly reflect the contents of each attachment.
To apply for this position, please go to www.mpc.edu/employment and click on the link for "Full Time Faculty and Administrator Positions." Click on the job title for full details about the position. Additionally you will see an "apply" button immediately above the announcement to the right.
You will be required to create a user account. If you already have a user account with another NeoGov employer, you will be able to use your existing account log­in information. Please complete all the required components of the application including uploading of your transcripts and other required documents.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the application and employment process will be accommodated to the extent reasonably possible. Requests should be made to the Office of Human Resources by calling 831-646-4016.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Human Resources Department
Monterey Peninsula College 831­646-3038
Applicants selected for interviews will be notified by phone approximately 2­4 weeks following the application deadline. Initial interviews are held on campus and tentatively scheduled for the month of March 2019. Travel expenses associated with the initial interview are the sole responsibility of the applicant. Selected finalists will be invited to second interviews with the Superintendent/President and Vice President of Academic Affairs during the week of March 18, 2019. Partial reimbursement for expenses associated with the second interview may be available. Positions are subject to adequate funding and MPC reserves the right to close, extend, cancel, postpone or restart the recruitment at any time.
Conditions of Employment
Employment with Monterey Peninsula College is not complete or official until applicants meet all pre-employment requirements. Prior to employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete the following. All new employees are required to submit official transcripts, Risk Assessment or verification of a negative TB exam, proof of fingerprints taken via Live Scan to the Department of Justice, and proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Offers of employment are contingent upon Governing Board approval.
The District is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the District is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status as a Vietnam-era veteran, ancestry, or political or organizational affiliation.
About the College
Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) is a fully accredited California public community college. With an open admissions policy, the college is known for the excellence of its academic programs and student support services. The college has been recognized as a top military friendly school.
Monterey Peninsula College is located on the beautiful central coast of California, approximately 120 miles south of San Francisco. The cities of Carmel, Del Rey Oaks, Marina, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Sand City, Seaside and the unincorporated areas commonly known as Big Sur, Carmel Valley and Pebble Beach are all served by the district. Monterey Peninsula is known as a world-class destination and the many attractions of the area include an incomparable coastline, numerous state parks, the historical district of Monterey, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and several of the most famous golf courses in the world.
Monterey Peninsula College and the Early Childhood Lab School received recognition as a Family Friendly Employer and a Child Welcoming Business in 2017 from Bright Beginnings Early Childhood Development Initiative and the Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce. More information can be found at: https://www.mpc.edu/Home/Components/News/News/8953/18
Monterey Peninsula College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the U.S. Department of Education.
Additional information about accreditation and can be found at:
http://www.accjc.org and https://www.mpc.edu/about-mpc/campus-information/accreditation
For information about course offerings, please see the Monterey Peninsula College catalog and class schedules:
For a history of the development of the Education Center at Marina:
For Institutional Research:
For more information about us:
For more information about our community:
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mpc/jobs/2282297/kinesiology-instructor-full-time-tenure-track-fall-2019
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency