Life Science Research Professional 1 (1 Year Fixed-Term)
Life Science Research Professional 1 (1 Year Fixed-Term)
Job Number: 81324
Job Code: 4945Job Grade: E
The Elias Lab in The Department of Chemical and Systems Biology is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 (LSRP 1) to perform fundamental functions and activities involved antigen discovery research projects, and independently conduct and analyze experiments. Dr. Elias's lab develops and applies mass spectrometry techniques for studying peptide antigens presented by Major Histocompatibility complexes, and how they relate to cancer, infectious disease, allergy, and health. To do this, members of the Elias lab are developing techniques for efficient proteome fractionation; novel, high-throughput, quantitative mass spectrometry methods; and computational strategies to extract systems level understanding from in vitro models and from patient-derived biological material.
The LSRP 1 will be responsible for assisting senior laboratory members in the preparation and analysis of peptide antigens by mass spectrometry. In this role, the LSRP 1 is expected to prepare antibody-based reagents, perform immunoprecipitations, and purify the resulting peptide antigens for mass spectrometry-based identification and quantification. The LSRP 1 will perform experimental procedures which require specialized knowledge of antigen presentation, contribute towards publishing findings in research journals, and review relevant literature articles. The LSRP 1 will also manage collaborations with local academic and outside industry research groups. They will supervise postdocs and technician researchers from these groups as needed. Additional responsibilities include cell culture, fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS) analysis, and maintenance of chromatography solvent and column stocks
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Analytical Chemistry or related field.
- Working understanding of antibody-based purification and/or detection (immunoprecipitation, ELISA, Western Blot, FACS) procedures.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Experience with antibody production from hybridoma cell cultures, bead conjugation, and immunoprecipitation of protein complexes.
- Experience with mass spectrometers, high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Location: School of Medicine, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency