Assistant Director of Visitor Relations
Assistant Director of Visitor Relations
Job Number: 81317
Stanford|UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSION, FINANCIAL AID AND
VISITOR INFORMATION SERVICES
Job Code: 4624
Job Grade: F
FTE: 100%, Exempt
Visitor Information Services welcomes more than 100,000 visitors to campus annually, offering campus tours and providing information about the university and the surrounding area. The trained staff of student tour guides represent many academic disciplines and campus activities including student leadership, performing arts, community service, and athletics. We help visitors navigate and enjoy our world-class facilities, sprawling foothills, and distinctive sandstone and tile architecture.
The Office of Undergraduate Admission seeks an Assistant Director of Visitor Relations to work on a team of three (3), manage the programs, services, staffing, and operations of a high-impact departmental visitor center that is staffed by students and offers numerous daily programs and services, while concurrently serving as a liaison and subject matter expert for the department in multiple capacities.
Your responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the secure, efficient, and service-oriented aspects of the Visitor Center's daily operations (e.g., opening and closing procedures; administering multiple service-related phone lines and voicemail systems; administering multiple public email portals, including the supervision of responses to 10,000+ emails annually; and overseeing the public-facing service counter).
- Providing input in hiring decisions and performance of workgroup (e.g., serving on interview panel and providing input for hiring of any vacant FTE positions; managing annual recruitment and screening/selection of 8-12 paraprofessional student manager staff; managing the work and performance of 8-12 paraprofessional student managers; completing full cycle of “Performance Planning and Review”; overseeing annual process of recruitment, screening, and hiring of 25-40 new student employees; overseeing annual process of orientation and training of new student staff; overseeing annual process of shadowing and evaluating 60-75 tour guides on tour and office performance; shadowing and evaluating student manager tours; providing guidance, mentoring, training, and assistance to the Visitor Relations Coordinator (VRC); overseeing annual orientation and training program for new student guides; organizing and implementing professional development programs and exercises for all student staff).
- Acting independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments (e.g., assigning and coordinating new manager projects each year; identifying and carrying out special projects to improve efficiency and effectiveness of daily procedures, customer service, employee policies, and general departmental operations; coordinating and facilitating staff meetings).
- Serving as a subject matter expert for the unit, participating with other departments, and representing the unit as needed (e.g., participating in undergraduate admission trainings and meetings to be sufficiently trained to serve as a SME for public purposes on issues related to Stanford Undergraduate Admission (UGA) and Financial Aid (FAO); in partnership with the Director, seasonally presenting the Discover Stanford Information Session to the public; responding to general inquiries regarding UGA and FAO).
- Processing non-standard requests, initiating appropriate documentation and notifying other departments and/or coordinating with outside agencies as needed (e.g., working individually or with the Director, addressing issues and facilitating strategic partnerships with other campus administrative departments as well as academic departments; and coordinating with sponsoring departments VIS participating in university-wide “Big 5” events).
- Handling the highest level of escalated and unresolved calls (e.g., researching and resolving complaints received related to tours, phone inquiries, website information, and services received by the Visitor Center that cannot be addressed by front line staff or the VRC; penultimate authority for all complaints and inquiries not requiring addressing by the Director).
- Administering and educating others on the supported program, providing accurate information and updates to policies and procedures, and improving overall customer satisfaction in the process.
- Determining whether disputed issues have been handled appropriately through substantial knowledge of internal policies and procedures (e.g., annually reviewing, modifying, and developing departmental policies and procedures to ensure quality and effectiveness of service, enforcing and modifying as appropriate throughout the year).
- Working closely with others in the department to identify and correct problems and making recommendations to remedy problems (e.g., working with the Director or VRC, reviewing quarterly projects throughout each cycle and developing/documenting/implementing improvements and modifications as warranted).
- Keeping track of correspondence and interactions with visitors using a customer relationship management tool (e.g., administering CRM database).
- May act as supervisor in supervisor's absence (e.g., standing in for the Director as needed/warranted; representing the Director or department at campus meetings).
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Leadership traits including effective communication, supervisory skills, and the ability to manage workflow.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills to effectively solve and respond to complicated requests.
- Excellent customer service experience and a proven ability to meet performance standards.
- An ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing, with individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds.
- An ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- An ability to use authority, knowledge and judgment to effectively respond to complicated requests.
- An ability to multi-task.
- An ability to learn policies and procedures and correctly provide that information to visitors and use information to make sound decisions.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree and four years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong computer skills such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or auditing a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency