Director for Athletics and Recreation
Whatcom Community College invites applications for a Director for Athletics and Recreation. The Director for Athletics and Recreation is responsible for administering all aspects of athletics and recreation for Whatcom Community College (WCC) and ensures programs operate in accordance with the Northwest Athletics Conference (NWAC), the College's mission, strategic goals, and regulatory requirements. The Director for Athletics and Recreation ensures WCC intercollegiate athletic programs are conducted with the highest standards of integrity, and sportsmanship through training and professional development for student athletes, coaches, and departmental staff. This position will also support the highest standards of safety and cleanliness of the Student Recreation Center and Pavilion (SRC/PAV), hire and train staff, enhance existing programs, maintain accurate record keeping/statistics and develop new indoor and outdoor recreation programs and activities. The Director for Athletics and Recreation manages multiple budgets and ensures strict compliance with all cash handling, and related policies, and procedures. Reporting to the Vice President for Student Services, the Director leads and promotes meaningful leadership and engagement while building welcoming and inclusive athletics and recreation programs for WCC's diverse student population.
Include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement strengths-based student athlete and recreation programs and services with campus and community stakeholders. Work closely with Academic Advising and Career Services staff to ensure that all student athletes complete an academic plan, making successful academic progress, and athletic eligibility. Work closely with Instruction, the Physical Education Department, and faculty to coordinate course offerings and enrollment with student athletes.
- Coordinate with WCC Communication and Marketing staff to prepare press releases, create innovative publicity and marketing strategies, and promote intercollegiate athletics and awareness of SRC/PAV programs and activities for the campus and community. Oversee marketing plan, departmental publications, web pages, and social media presence.
- Oversee and coordinate WCC's student athlete recruitment program with coaches. Coordinate scouting and outreach efforts at the local, regional, and national levels, including developing close working relationships with K-12 partners.
- Serve on committee and work groups to reform student success and completion services and practices to better serve student athletes. Attend all advisor training meetings and communicate status updates and outcomes for student athletes as appropriate. Remain competent and current though self-directed professional development.
- Ensure compliance with NWAC code regulations, legal requirements, Title IX policies and procedures, student athlete eligibility and rosters, and the completion of federal and state mandated athletic reports. Collect and analyze departmental statistics and data; develop, interpret, and implement intercollegiate athletics policies and procedures.
- Support representatives of WCC as the Men's and Women's NWAC Commissioners to participate in all required NWAC meetings and events.
- Collaborate with the WCC Foundation to identify and leverage fundraising opportunities related athletics booster club activities that help sustain student athlete scholarships and builds athletics-related support.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate department and game management staff and coaches. Ensure coaches communicate eligibility requirements including financial aid, budget, travel, and other applicable college policies and procedures to student athletes.
- Coordinate student athlete post-season awards and recognition programs with campus and community stakeholders.
- Coordinate athletic game and practice schedules and secure officials for intercollegiate athletic contests. Manage athletic programs inventories of uniforms, equipment, and supplies. Oversee team travel arrangements including scheduling van/bus transportation, hotel arrangements, meal money, and insurance claims processing.
- Establish and revise short and long-range organizational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures for the SRC/PAV. Monitor and evaluate operational effectiveness, and implement changes for improvement. Oversee, supervise, and evaluate the SRC/PAV Manager. Provide shift supervision and employee oversight for the SRC/PAV facility when needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned or delegated by the Vice President for Student Services.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Physical Education, Sports Psychology, Recreation, Communications, Human Services, Social Science, Counseling, Student Development, or related field.
- Master's degree or equivalent in Education, Recreation, Communications, Human Services, Social Science, Counseling, Student Development, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in administering and evaluating athletics programs.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting diverse environments inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
- Excellent verbal, listening, writing, problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to use a personal computer, Microsoft Office products and database programs.
Salary and Appointment:
- This is a 12-month, full-time appointment, exempt from Washington State civil service law, with the salary of $68,000-$72,000 annually, DOE.
- The position comes with a full benefits package, including health, dental, life, long term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by Tuesday December 18th, 2018 at 4:59 pm. Position is open until filled.
To apply please visit us at: