Specialist IV, Student Financials
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
• Students Matter
• Inspire Excellence
• Act Intentionally
• Better Together
• No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-System Office
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
This position is located at the LSC-System Office at 5000 Research Forest Drive. The Woodlands, Texas 77381.
This position performs student account refunding, student account analysis, and various reconciliation processes. Works closely with campus and departmental staff to assist with student issues. Performs general accounting activities that are complex and broad in nature, specializing in general ledger.
Follows appropriate accounting, reporting , and reconciliation processes in accordance with federal and state law, system policies and professional accounting standards. The Accountant II aids in the analysis and accountability of student financial records while providing assistance to students/parents
- Acts as primary contact for student financials of all student related issues including student refunds, payments, and payment plans by monitoring student financials inbox and providing resolutions to issues for various departments . Performs analysis of issues and assists students/parents/co-workers with resolution
- Performs a variety of review, analysis and reconciliation/resolution functions, including but not limited to ;
- Reconciles Touchnet Payment gateway transactions to PS student accounts , and reconciles processes related to general ledger accounts and Student Financials
- Reviews daily student account and refund related error reports . Creates batch refunds of student payments and excess financial aid for entire student population . Ensures refunds are completed on time and comply with state and federal regulations
- Analyzes data to locate unapplied student account credits and student account issues . Resolves issues by performing regular student account maintenance
- Posts various student related transactions and ensures transactions are reflected on the student accounts
- Prepares and/or assists with the creation and analysis of various reports Monitors the TouchNet Cashiering System to ensure the daily batch process is completed . As needed , coordinates solutions with TouchNet to resolve issues relating to payment plans , electronic refunds, or student payment processing
- Provides assistance during training sessions for campus staff (administered by the Student Accounting Department)
- Provides support when needed as a back-up for the daily reconcil i ation of TouchNet and PeopleSoft payment and refunding data. Provides back-up for 1098-T r elated inquiries from campus staff and students as needed
- Prepares journal entries and reconciliations for month-end close processes
- Responsible for other reasonable , related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of general accounting principles, practices and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Attention to detail and ability to cope with several tasks simultaneously
- Deadline oriented and strong initiative and analytical skills
- Skills in the utilization of an automated system
- Preferable understanding of PeopleSoft Campus Solutions student system
- Proficient in the use of PC's and related software (Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Access)
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may
be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or
driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows
environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- High School Diploma or GED and at least 5 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Associate's degree or higher in Business, Accounting, or related area
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College to Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities, sabbatical opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-The Woodlands
Work Locations: 5000 Research Forest Drive (0000) , 5000 Research Forrest Drive , Houston , 77381
Organization: System Office - 00
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Oct 3, 2018, 5:20:55 PM