College Analyst (SJSU ONLY)
Job ID: 24768
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: College of Health & Human Sci
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Nonexempt
Salary Range: $3,288/month - $6,162/month
FLSA status: Non- Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This position is open to current SJSU employees only.
Working independently, under limited supervision, the incumbent provides complex administrative support and performs a variety of analytical and technical accounting work. The incumbent works closely with the College Resource Analyst to oversee all fiscal & budget duties of the special session and general fund programs. The incumbent compiles and analyzes financial/HR information from CMS
PeopleSoft reports, designs and prepares a variety of financial reports for year-end budget projections and faculty appointment salary projections. The incumbent also reports to Chairs/Directors as needed when there is a vacancy or need at the department level, or when support is requested by the different units in our college. Duties include; budget reconciliation and management, scheduling, office coordination, faculty and staff appointments.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops and maintains financial account tracking systems and reports, and reconciles all SJSU and Foundation accounts, using the PeopleSoft/Oracle Financial system to ensure that budget and expenditures are within year-to-date and projected year-end amounts for college and departments.
- Oversees revenue generated by the Special Session program and works closely with CIES to reconcile any discrepancies.
- Develops and advises Chair/College Resource Analyst about next fiscal year budget forecast.
- Monitors and tracks faculty salaries using monthly LCD report and makes corrections when necessary.
- Monitors all department accounts in Finance Data Warehouse including General Fund, IES, Trust Accounts, Tower and Research foundation accounts for budgetary compliance.
- Provides training to support staff in the area of procurement.
- Reviews all travel authorizations and reimbursements for completeness and to adhere to College and University guidelines.
- Prepares CHaHS Tally and Salary Expenditure sheets.
- Processes faculty, student assistant, graduate assistant, and teaching assistant appointments and reappointments for fall, spring, winter, and summer semesters for academic (general fund) and special session assignments, in a timely manner. In consultation with Chair/College Resource Analyst, ensures salary correctness.
- Provides training to faculty in the area hiring student research and/or teaching assistants.
- Works with faculty to ensure timely processing of grant related documents.
- Develops, implements, and oversees administrative procedures to increase departmental efficiency, including ensuring completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of all operational functions.
- Serves as a resource for faculty, other staff, and public on university, Research Foundation, and Tower Foundation policies and procedures.
- Assist the Department Chair/College with planning the academic schedule.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis and evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Two years related work experience preferred
- Experience handling large, complex budgets
- Experience with budget planning, analysis, reconciliation, and projections
- Experience in a fast-paced office with competing priorities
- Scheduling, office coordination and University personnel experience
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to interpret and apply fiscal policies and procedures; conduct financial analysis; develop and design databases; prepare ad hoc reports and work on special projects.
- Ability to analyze data and make accurate projections using business mathematics and basic statistical techniques.
- Experience with (or ability to quickly learn) PeopleSoft and ability to extract financial information from mainframe financial or student systems; ability to understand interaction between various funds and accounts.
- Working knowledge of Human Resources principles and concepts and the ability to apply them.
- Ability to take initiative, make independent decisions, and exercise sound judgment, while planning, organizing, and implementing multiple work priorities.
- Ability to perform accurately in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including excellent English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Proficient in PC compatible software programs, e.g., word, excel, access, power point.
- Demonstrated creativity in approaching and addressing situations.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
October 3, 2018
Application Screening begins October 19, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046