Chief of Police (Apply via Search Firm)
Job ID: 24745
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3300
Department: University Police
Classification: Administrator IV
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*All applicants must apply via search firm.*
As a key member of the university management team, under the general direction of the Vice President for Administration and Finance/Chief Financial Officer, the Chief of Police provides the leadership, supervision, and development of law enforcement professionals and support staff. An experienced law enforcement professional with vision and energy who embraces the Universitys shared values and goes beyond what is expected to do what is possible, will be ideal. Provide the vision necessary to successfully lead the University Police Department.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with an emphasis in police science, public or business administration, or a related field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of responsible law enforcement experience including five (5) years of recent experience at the command level (Lieutenant or above) in a department of similar size or larger.
- San Jos State University required current POST management certification in California or certification at the management level within a six (6) month period of time
A Master's Degree or graduation from Command College. Graduation from the FBI National Academy is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations; write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals; effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers and the general public.
- Knowledge of policies, laws and related case law that impact the law enforcement profession; regulations and standards that govern the operation of a law enforcement agency.
- Ability to demonstrate an open, participatory, flexible, team-oriented management style.
- Ability to clearly articulate ideas, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to listen accurately.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain dignity and self-control in stressful situations.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to be objective about personal strengths and limitations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Demonstrated organizational skills in budget management, and supervision of staff and staff development.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
October 3, 2018
Application Screening begins October 19, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Mr. Regan Williams at (916) 784-9080, should you have any questions.