University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Nursing
Position #00684436 - Requisition 14853
College of Nursing has an opening for a full-time Faculty position to serve in the role of Clinical Director/Family Nurse Practitioner.
Location: Sheridan Health Services - 3525 W. Oxford Ave, Denver, CO 80236
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Nature of Work:
The University of Colorado, College of Nursing, is seeking a Family or Adult Nurse Practitioner to serve as the Clinical Director for a full-time (1.0 FTE) benefits-eligible position with the University of Colorado, College of Nursing, at Sheridan Health Services (SHS). SHS has two sites, the Family Health Clinic in Denver, CO (80236) and the Youth Health Clinic in Englewood (80110). This position is clinic based as a primary care provider (50% effort) and administrator (50% effort). Additionally, this position will be appointed to a faculty position in the clinical practice track within the College of Nursing and will involve direct patient care.
Sheridan Health Services is a multi-site, nurse-managed federally qualified community health center, funded through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Primary Healthcare; and is a collaborative effort between the College of Nursing and the Sheridan School District. There are ~40 employees at two convenient locations to serve community health needs primarily for residents of Sheridan, Englewood, and North Littleton. The Youth Health Clinic is a school-based health center located in the Sheridan School District Administration building. The Family Health Clinic is located in southwest Denver on the Fort Logan campus and provides services to adults and children. Services offered include primary care across the lifespan; prenatal and postpartum care, gynecology, dentistry, pharmacy, behavioral health, and outpatient substance abuse treatment. We extend the reach of the clinic through public health outreach where nursing students provide community outreach, health education, and home visitation services. www.nursing.ucdenver.edu/Sheridan
Administrative work is performed under the general direction and authority of the SHS CEO as part of the College of Nursing (CON) faculty practices and the Associate Dean for Clinical and Community Affairs. Clinical work is performed as an independent APN within delineated practice, under the general direction and authority of the SHS CEO.
Nurse practitioners, registered nurses, medical assistants, and clinical student supervision is required.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Works collaboratively with leadership team to achieve strategic goals
- Serves as an effective team member; functions independently, exercises sound judgment and initiative; demonstrates flexibility to organizational priorities; maintains confidentiality; establishes and maintains effective interpersonal work relationships, and effectively assists providers.
- Participates in programmatic planning and development of evidence-based clinical policies, procedures, and protocols
- Maintains knowledge of current research, best practices, using evidence based literature
- Prepares status reports for the CEO, for grant deliverables, and other reports as needed
- Works collaboratively with leadership in the investigation of Sentinel Events and adverse outcomes to patients, visitors and employees via the process of using Root Cause Analysis (RCA) with development and implementation of Action Plans to reduce the chance of recurrence
- Conducts reviews for quality of care concerns, risk management cases, as needed
- Supervises providers and collaborates with quality program administrator and multidisciplinary clinical leadership
- Provides ongoing, structured trainings and meetings for staff inclusive of integrated care meetings
- Performs quality assurance and improvement activities: collects, analyzes and disseminates data; prepares reports; and demonstrates improvement
- Establishes positive relationships with local medical community and attends CCHN functions
- Leads NCQA PCMH Initiative
- Works collaboratively with other clinical leadership in design and implementation of integrated, interprofessional models of care delivery and evaluation of patient outcomes
- Supports and actively engages in cultural competency through Cultural and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) Standards
- Assists with the development of reports for local, state, and federal authorities according regulatory requirements
- Ability to work weekends, as needed
- Serves as primary care provider within team based care model
- Performs accurate physical examinations, evaluations, diagnoses, treatments, follow-up, and consultation
- Supervises and/or coordinates the activities of patient care
- Participates in after-hours call
- Obtains patient history and develops comprehensive plan of care
- Provides health education to patients, students, families, and/or community health practitioners and groups
- Practices safety, environmental, and infection control methods
- Functions as a clinical preceptor for health professions students
- Identifies deviations from normal and consults as needed
- Completes necessary documentation within established timeframes
- Ensure strict compliance with University and professional policies/procedures
- Adept at Electronic Health Record (EHR) and EHR trouble shooting, improvement processes, and downtime procedures
- Assists with grant reporting, as needed
- Actively participates in marketing and patient recruitment
- Performs other duties, as assigned
- Active participation in health plan contracts
- Remains credentialed by the health plans and ensure credentialing materials stay current
Skill and Ability Requirements:
- Ability to lead people through coaching, mentorship, and ongoing support
- Skill in providing excellent customer service and support; organizing and prioritizing workload and meeting deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with persons from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, education, racial, ethnic and professional backgrounds
- Communicates effectively, clearly, concisely with others, consistently demonstrates positive/proactive customer service attitude. Consistently maintains ethical behaviors exemplary of quality public service and fair standards, inclusively, among all employees and members of the public
- Ability to complete tasks timely and work effectively with managers, co-workers, members of the public and professional groups
- Expertise in quality improvement methods
- Ability to establish and achieve clinical performance metrics for the organization
- Ability to effectively manage schedules and staffing ratios
- Attend board meetings, committee meetings, staff meeting, and other meetings as assigned
- Considerable degree of independent judgment and work priorities is necessary to monitor and respond to changes in a client's condition
- Ability to use computer and clinic software, and to document in EHR, ensuring completeness and accuracy
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with patients, their families, and other members of the health care team
- Attention to details
- Ability to achieve productivity standards
- Active participation in health plan contracts
- Remain credentialed by the health plans and ensure credentialing materials stay current
- Active participation in marketing and patient recruitment
- Ability to handle average provider caseload
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduate degree from an accredited school of nursing
- Experience in healthcare management and quality improvement
- Clinical competency in specialty area
- Current Board certification as an FNP or AGNP
- Current RN and APN and Prescriptive Authority (RxN) licensure (Must have CO licensures by date of hire. Could be working toward CO clinical licenses during application process and registered with DORA-Department of Regulatory Agencies.)
- Minimum 2 years Advance Practice experience
- Current BLS/CPR Certification
- Bilingual (conversational Spanish/English speaking)
- Current DEA license and full prescriptive authority
- Experience working with population based outcomes
- Experienced clinical preceptor
- Experience working with vulnerable populations who experience difficulty accessing care
Conditions of Employment:
- Valid NPI number by date of hire
- Completed CAQH by date of hire
- Colorado Medicaid Provider number by date of hire
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14853
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV, Current Board Certification, Current BLS/CPR Certification
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Oct 2, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Rod DeVriendt
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00683298