Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor (Tenure Track) in Tobacco Prevention and Con
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO | ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Epidemiology
Colorado Comprehensive Cancer Center
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
NATURE OF WORK
The Department of Epidemiology at the Colorado School of Public Health and the University of Colorado Cancer Center have an opening a full-time, open rank position(s) in the tenure track. We seek candidates with a research record in tobacco use epidemiology, prevention and control as evidenced by funded grants and peer-reviewed publications in the field, who will work with existing tobacco prevention researchers across our partner institutions, leverage existing tobacco prevention datasets, and bridge tobacco prevention efforts in basic science, behavioral science, and population sciences.
The Colorado School of Public Health builds on the collective strengths of the University of Colorado, Colorado State University, and the University of Northern Colorado. It is the only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain region. With over 127 primary faculty on the three collaborative campuses, there are over 300 students in programs leading to the MPH, MS, PhD, and DrPH degrees. Across the campuses, the Department of Epidemiology has 29 regular faculty members with many additional secondary or adjunct appointments in multiple schools and community facilities. The University of Colorado Cancer Center is an NCI-designated consortium comprehensive cancer center with over 300 members engaged in collaborative cancer research at its six-member institutions: University of Colorado Denver; Children's Hospital Colorado; University of Colorado Boulder; Colorado State University; University of Colorado Hospital; and the Denver Veterans Administration.
The new faculty position will be appointed in the Department of Epidemiology with membership in the Cancer Center located on the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, a $4 billion state-of-the-art academic medical complex, including clinical, research, and teaching facilities that support the Schools of Public Health, Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Nursing, and the Graduate School. Joint appointments in other Departments and Schools in the University of Colorado system will be considered as appropriate to encourage collaboration and attract the best qualified candidate.
Selected faculty should possess doctoral training in cancer epidemiology or a closely related field. Primary activities would include teaching and research. Faculty appointments at all levels are offered competitive salary, start-up, and relocation packages.
The full-time tenure-track or tenure-eligible position will be involved with research, educational and service activities. Appointees will be expected to support, contribute, and provide leadership in trans-disciplinary collaborations campus-wide, in both research and teaching. Collaborations with other institutions nationally and internationally are also strongly encouraged.
We seek a candidate with training and expertise in epidemiology, specifically in tobacco prevention and control. The primary responsibilities of this position are to:
- establish and sustain a productive research portfolio through independent external funding
- provide outstanding educational leadership at the graduate level in the classroom and in mentoring students and contributing towards the growth of educational programs.
- provide institutional and professional leadership and service, particularly with regard to interdisciplinary scholarship, student success, and diversity.
This position requires a rigorous program of independent research along with teaching at the graduate level.
The incumbent will report to Jill Norris, MPH, PhD, Chair of the Department of Epidemiology.
None at time of hire; may supervise student workers, postdoctoral fellows and/or junior faculty as career develops.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Teach graduate-level courses in public health and epidemiology
- Conduct research
- Obtain extramural support for research and public health practice
- Publish in peer reviewed journals
- Mentor Masters and Doctoral students.
- Provide academic leadership and service to the Department, School, University and profession.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
DIVERSITY AND EQUITY:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A PhD, ScD, or DrPH in epidemiology or related disciplines, or an MD or DO with additional training in epidemiology.
- An established independent extramurally funded program of research (for the Associate or Full Professor ranks) or demonstrated potential to establish an independent extramurally funded program of research (for the Assistant Professor rank).
- An established record of teaching excellence (for the Associate or Full Professor ranks) or demonstrated potential for teaching excellence (for the Assistant Professor rank).
- Relevant faculty level experience (or equivalent) in epidemiologic research, and expertise and interest in both self-initiated and collaborative research in tobacco prevention and control.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a research focus that is complementary to existing research strengths of Departmental, School, and University programs in public health, epidemiology, biostatistics, and genetics.
- Experience with a variety of teaching methods and/or curricular perspectives, including teaching students from different backgrounds with diverse life experiences and learning styles.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Interested candidates may contact the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Myles Cockburn ([email protected]), to discuss opportunities and qualifications prior to formal application. Review of applications will begin on October 24, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14852
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications and include a detailed teaching and research statement.
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21434 - CSPH-Epidemiology General Ops
Posting Date: Oct 2, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Myles Cockburn, PhD
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00755203