Steam & Power Plant III (100795)
Steam & Power Plant III
Abbott Power Plant
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
To operate boilers, steam turbine-generator sets, electrical distribution switchgear and steam control devices for campus supply, as well as all auxiliary systems required to support the operation of these systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Operates boilers and associated equipment
• Start-ups and shut-downs steam turbine generator sets and connects or disconnects from electrical distribution system
• Continuously monitors and records hourly operating condition of turbines, generators and switchgear
• Operates steam control devices that supply steam to all campus systems
• Performs all electrical switching on all distribution switchgear
• Operates auxiliary equipment such as pumps, compressors, pollution control equipment, coal-handling equipment and cooling towers
• Regenerates water softeners; tests and treats boiler feed water, storage water and cooling water
• Checks auxiliary equipment related to turbine generators and boilers. Adjusts and records operating temperatures and pressures to maintain equipment in proper operating condition. Records data on log sheets and log books
• Learns the duties of the Lead Operating Engineer-Steam and Power Plant IV for upgrade and promotional opportunities
• Assists other operating staff as required
• Trains and instructs lower level operators in the proper operation of turbines, generators, switchgear and steam to campus control devices, as well as all auxiliary systems required to support the operation of these systems
• Clean equipment and work area as required
• Keeps Lead Operating Engineer-Steam and Power Plant IV informed of all changes in operating conditions
• Communicates and explains equipment problems through the Lead Operating Engineer-Steam and Power Plant IV to appropriate maintenance personnel
• Promote safe operations and support departmental safety initiatives and programs
• Maintains all work areas, tools and equipment in a clean and orderly condition
• Other related duties as assigned
1. Two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the maintenance and operation of steam and power plant equipment.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to the next lower level of the series.
3. Possession of current/valid licenses and certificates, as required by the employing institution.
For more information about this classification:
Steam & Power Plant III positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $29.44 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Steam & Power Plant III. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Steam & Power Plant III (100795)
Open Date: 08/03/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations