Post Doctoral Scientist
Job Description Summary:
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
GW’s Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Tropical Medicine (MITM) conducts innovative, fundamental, basic and translational research for HIV/AIDS and neglected tropical diseases. MITM has a strong tradition of training and policy advocacy for these infectious and parasitic diseases, which initiate and perpetuate poverty and suffering worldwide. Additional information on MITM can be found at the following link: http://smhs.gwu.edu/microbiology/
Molecular parasitology laboratory within the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Tropical Medicine is seeking highly motivated Postdoctoral Scientists to investigate molecular parasitology in African trypanosomes.
The position will entail leading projects based in biochemical and/or genetic approaches to elucidate basic biological processes toward the identification of potential therapeutic targets. This position requires a high level of research independence. Scientific innovation, independent thinking, and project development will be encouraged. While no parasitology experience is required, a passionate interest in the field is a must. The Postdoctoral scientists in this position will also be expected to mentor junior lab members, including undergraduates, and will be considered and integral member of our lab research team.
- Design and conduct experiments and research while receiving advanced training from a designated Principal Investigator to enhance professional skills and research independence.
- Assist in the development of new ideas that promote current research.
-Collaborate with the head of laboratory to develop and execute a diverse research program.
- Prepare and publish scientific manuscripts under the direction of the Principal Investigator.
- Assist with grant writing.
- Work closely with students.
-Contribute to scientific presentations (both internal and external) as well as manuscript and grant submissions.
- Responsible for the operation of specific equipment, training techniques to other laboratory personnel, and supervising research staff as necessary.
– Performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a PhD in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the positionAdditional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
-A recent Ph.D. in Biology or related area with a strong background in molecular biology and genetics.
-Standard molecular biology skills, aseptic technique, general and biology specific computing skills (nucleic acid, cloning and protein analysis), manuscript preparation, scientific presentation.
-Cell culture, flow-cytometry, genetics, biochemistry, bioinformatics.
-Impeccable aseptic technique is essential.
-Strong molecular biology (PCR, molecular cloning, RNA extraction and analysis) skills.
-At least two of the following skillset:
biochemistry, genetics, gene expression and bioinformatics, and cell biology.
-Excellent organizational and communication skills.
-Ability to work in a team.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: 8:30-5:00pm; night and weekend work may be necessary Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is for 2 years with the possibility of renewal. Two letters of support will be requested as part of the interview process.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000563 Job Open Date: 06/02/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Have you completed a PhD in a field of biology or chemistry?
- Do you have at least 1 accepted publication?
- Do you have diverse array of research skills?
- Are you motivated to discover new aspects of parasite biology?
- Are you a ready to contribute to a strong research community through presentations, mansuscript preparation, & collaborations?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Sample Publications