Executive Director of Bioethics
Open date: June 4th, 2018
Next review date: September 1st, 2018
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: December 31st, 2018
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California Irvine (UCI) is seeking a faculty appointee to lead our Bioethics program. The UCI College of Health Sciences (Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Population Health, and Pharmaceutical Sciences) is establishing a Bioethics Program that will build upon the current work and strong collaborations already developed between the Medical Ethics Program (UCI Health & School of Medicine), The Program in Medical Humanities & Arts (School of Medicine), and the Medical Humanities Initiative (Schools of Medicine, Arts, and Humanities).
Current Medical Ethics Program activities include:
• The Health Ethics Committee and Ethics Consultation Service at UCI Health
• An annual Clinical Ethics Symposium
• The Annual Tobis Endowed Lecture in Bioethics
• A monthly Ethics Journal Club
• Curriculum development for the School of Medicine
• Other educational events (lectures, public debates, panel discussions, film screenings).
UCI also has a research ethics consult service within the CTSA-supported Institute for Clinical & Translational Science (ICTS). Other scholarly and community outreach bioethics activities at UCI are found in the Stem Cell Research Center, the Alzheimer's Disease Research Center, the School of Humanities, the School of Social Sciences, and the School of Law.
The Bioethics Program will build upon this current foundation and coordinate and expand our activities through the development of creative research in bioethics, the establishment of fellowship programs in bioethics, and the curation of interdisciplinary programs linking various institutional stakeholders at UCI. By its nature bioethics is interdisciplinary, and thus should contribute to the aim of integrating clinical, teaching, research, new faculty recruitment, and community engagement activities across the health sciences. If today's astonishing and rapid advancements in biomedical technologies are to serve the good of individual patients and contribute to the common good, they require rigorous and deep investigation and reflection from ethics and related disciplines. By engaging in this critical work the Bioethics Program will address important needs of University and our community.
The Executive Director of Bioethics will have responsibilities in education, research, and collaborative leadership. Specifically, the Executive Director will:
• Oversee a medical ethics director who will conduct and grow the Ethics Committee and Ethics Consultation Service at UCI Health , expand educational programming for hospital faculty and staff, and coordinate hospital bioethics policy development and review;
• Oversee and expand clinical bioethics teaching models for students and interested clinicians;
• Oversee and expand research ethics education for researchers including an expanded role for research ethics consultation services;
• Work collaboratively with the leadership of the campus Medical Humanities Initiative, overseeing the bioethics research component of this program;
• Develop appropriate bioethics fellowship programs; and
• Develop a core bioethics research agenda and project portfolio.
The Executive Director is expected to have an earned doctoral degree and qualifications for a faculty appointment in an appropriate health sciences academic department. The tenured appointment will be at the level of Professor or possibly Associate Professor. The Executive Director must be able to work collaboratively across all disciplines and programs in the College of Health Sciences, the UCI Health medical center and clinics, and the UCI campus to support the overall mission of bioethics.
The Executive Director will be a recognized and renowned national/international scholar and thought leader in bioethics who will bring and maintain an established record of personal scholarship and teaching. The appointee will be expected to provide programmatic leadership across all four Schools of the UCI College of Health Sciences and collaborate in areas of mutual bioethics interest with other campus entities.
Application materials should include a curriculum vitae, a one-page statement of interest, a description of scholarly activities and interests, and a separate statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion. Applicants may complete an online application profile and upload their CV and application materials electronically: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04256.
The review of nominations and applications will commence on September 1, 2018 and continue until an appointment is made. The desired appointment date is in academic year 2019-2020.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter/Statement of Interest
- Statement of Research (Optional)
- Statement of Teaching - Please see the following for guidance - . http://dtei.uci.edu/the-reflective-teaching-statement/
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Statement of Scholarly Activities and Interests - Statement of research and additional scholarly interests.
3-5 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now