Manager, IT Support Services
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date April 4, 2018
Position Title Manager, IT Support Services
Vacancy # V-1421
Department Technical Support Services
Division Information Technology
The Manager for IT Support Services will provide hands-on technical leadership and workforce management in a high volume, fast-paced and highly technical Service Desk environment. Under the direction of the Associate Director for IT Support Services, the Manager will be responsible in guiding their staff with providing the end user community with the software and hardware components required to support the academic programs, research and administrative needs of the University. They will maintain our strategic commitment to infuse technology, wherever appropriate, into the teaching, learning and administrative processes at Montclair State University. Their responsibilities may include recruiting and hiring, performance management, and ensuring that processes are adhered to and that our Service Level Agreements are met. The Manager will proactively monitor and provide detailed metrics via the IT Service Management Solution on each managed queue and will need to monitor other areas reports in order to provide guidance or escalation. In addition, the Manager will be a proactive participant with newly acquired solutions and should be able to speak to best practices for support.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Staff Leadership and Management
- Supervise the daily operational tasks our Student run Service Desk and Computing Labs
- Manage and mentor our Student Supervisors in both the Service Desk and Computing Labs environments.
- Manage and provide guidance to the Application Support Specialists that provide frontline support to our campus' ERP systems.
- Escalate issues and risks to Associate Director for IT Support Services to allow for guidance on resolutions.
- Formally evaluates all Student Assistants on an annual basis. Provides guidance on salary increases or promotion to other positions to the Associate Director for IT Support Services.
- Develop, manage and communicate scheduling of Student Assistants.
- Ensures that the Service Desk and Computing Labs are staffed appropriately in order to manage the amount of expected calls, visits, email and chats.
- Mentor, advise and provide guidance to the IT Service Desk and IT Lab Assistant student staff.
- Manage and create
Incident and Problem Management
- Ensure the highest level of technical and operational support are given to the campus community by monitoring service via surveys, submitted incidents and other forms of campus feedback.
- Thoroughly document the pertinent details of all IT Service Desk calls to contribute to the overall usefulness of the ServiceNow knowledgebase.
- Ensure that the Services Desk is meeting the identified Service Level Agreements (SLA).
- Create and monitors all issues that fall under Problem Management and ensure there is a path to resolution.
- Maintain a 90% Customer Satisfaction Rate and a First Call Resolution (FCR) rate of of 75%.
- Proactively review submitted incidents for accuracy, detail and proper resolution. Provide guidance to Student and Application staff on improvements.
- Monitor client requests or problem reports to identify any systematic patterns which may require additional action.
- Provides hands-on technical support via telephone, instant messaging, email and self-service to both internal and external customers.
- Consistently updates Operations Manual to ensure the latest documentation to support the campus community is available to staff.
- Creates and executes training plans for all new hires and continues to push further development of current staff.
- Provides feedback on all customer facing technical documents that are stored within our Information Technology knowledge repository.
- Makes changes to Information Technology website via WordPress or another CMS tool.
- Consistently ensure that appropriate staff is available to update IT Service Desk social media site.
- Act as a lead support analyst, serve as an escalation point, and assist other IT Service Desk staff members.
- Develop and maintain a reward and recognition program.
- Develop and maintain call, email and chat scripts that will provide better efficiency with Student Assistants.
- In conjunction with the Computer Labs Administrator, ensure that all laptops and desktops in the Public labs continue to be properly maintained.
- Work collaboratively with other areas of Technical Support Services in order to ensure that processes are understood and in place.
- Work collaboratively with other Information Technology and Functional Units to ensure that the Service Desk is meeting their needs.
- Attend and participate in departmental and University events and functions
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Five (5) years of experience may be substituted for educational degree attainment at the discretion of the hiring authority.
- Bilingual (Spanish), a plus
- Three to Five (3-5) years' experience working in an IT organization, preferably higher education
- Must have experience providing hands on technical support to the following Operating Systems- Window 7, Windows 10 and Mac OSX (10.9 or higher)
- Must have hands on troubleshooting experience in a virtual environments such as Citrix and VMWare.
- Must be able to troubleshooting browser, networking, email or SaaS solutions.
- Must have experience managing and leading staff, student or itinerant staff preferred.
- Must have experience providing guidance to others via evaluations and one-on-one meetings.
- Must have strong telephone support and in person customer service experience.
- Must have experience managing incidents through a ticket-tracking tool such as ServiceNow or Remedy.
- Must have a clear understanding of Quality of Service initiatives, Business Process Engineering and Documentation for both the technician and the end-user.
- ITIL Certification, a plus
- Ability to work evenings or weekends on a per needed basis
- Demonstrate commitment to high quality customer service
- Ability to prepare and deliver training sessions on technical material
- Ability to prepare clear and detailed correspondence
- Ability to speak in public
- Ability to represent the university at conferences, seminars or meetings
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION