Department: Campus Police
Location: Western Campus
Reports To: Corporal
Recruitment Type: External/Internal
Requisition ID: req600
Employment Type: Full-Time Support Staff
Vacancy Number: 097-19
Union Position: Union
Work Schedule: M-F, (2nd Shift 3p-11p)
Number of Openings: 1
Performs the duties of an armed peace officer. Conducts field investigations and provides armed vehicular and foot patrol within jurisdiction. Patrols assigned areas, furnishes police protection to students, staff, visitors and the College community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- *Gathers and reports intelligence-related information in reference to the Public Safety Officer's assigned campus.
- *Provides protection for persons and property.
- *Responds to calls for assistance in life threatening, emergency and service related situations.
- *Observes and investigates criminal activity and other incidents or conditions jeopardizing the safety and security of the community.
- Conducts filed investigations, initiates and executes detentions.
- Makes arrests, issues citations, writes reports, and obtains warrants.
- Transports prisoners to jail or to a juvenile facility.
- Testifies in a court of law.
- Controls crowds and controls/directs traffic.
- Enforces state and federal law, local ordinances, College policies and organizational regulations.
- Provides assistance to local police agencies during emergencies.
- *Completes necessary administrative forms/reports as required.
- Admits authorized personnel to locked buildings during secure hours.
- Furnishes escort service and transports visitors, guests, staff and students as needed.
- Makes authorized off-campus pickups and deliveries.
- Provides directions and other information to College personnel, students, visitors, and/or the general public.
- Maintains licenses and certifications as required by federal and state regulations, and College policies and procedures.
- Presents citizen training programs and in-service workshops as directed.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position.
- Demonstrates regular attendance.
- Accesses and utilizes College prescribed software programs including, but not limited to, training, email and payroll information.
- *Performs other related duties as assigned.
*denotes Essential Function
- High School diploma or GED.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills, good note taking and report writing.
- Must have good physical ability, aptitude and policing skills.
- Must be able to maintain proficiency with a semi-automatic handgun and other required weapons.
- Valid Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy state certification.
- Skills in keyboarding, basic math and grammar, and basic or standard word processing (MS Word) and/or spreadsheet applications (MS Excel).
- Proficiency with an email software package (MS Outlook) and the Internet.
- Valid Ohio Driver's license.
- Must have current certifications in First Aid and CPR.
- Must obtain certifications in AED, Awareness of HazMat, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and Personal Awareness Protection Equipment within the first 90 days of employment.
- Must be able to meet the College insurability requirements.
- Must have sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population.
- Must be a citizen of the U.S.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Ability to satisfactorily complete a thorough background investigation, police physical agility test, written cognitive assessment, firearms qualification, physical examination, polygraph or voice stress analysis and psychological evaluation.
- Associate degree in Law Enforcement or related field.
- Law enforcement work experience as a police officer equivalent to a minimum of three (3) years full-time or six (6) year part-time experience.
- Previous law enforcement experience in a university or college setting.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Must be able to regularly sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, taste and smell. Must be able to frequently stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, climb or balance, and talk or hear. Must be able to lift more than 50 pounds without assistance. Special vision requirements include color and peripheral vision. Must be able to occasionally work in wet or humid conditions, work near moving mechanical parts, work in high, precarious places, work with fumes, airborne particles, toxics, caustic chemicals or bio-hazards. Must be able to regularly work in outdoor weather conditions. Must be able to work in an environment with a quiet noise level.
Disclaimer: This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned and does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Special Note:This is a Full-time AFSCME Bargaining Unit position, Grade 8, 2nd shift. AFSCME Employees employed with Community College will be
considered first for vacant positions.
Target Hiring Rate/Salary: Minimum of $24.73/hr
Special Instructions to Applicants: During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement: Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution.