T & R III - Registered Nurse - Clinician PACU
T & R III - Registered Nurse - Clinician PACU-1803792
At Stony Brook Medicine, our Registered Nurses are critical members of the team who diagnose and treat responses to actual or potential health problems by means of nursing methods and techniques such as case finding, health teaching and counseling. Our valued team members provide care supportive to our patients' health and well-being, while adhering to a medical regimen.
The Teaching and Research Nurse III (Clinician) functions as the nurse leader of a unit on a given shift. In addition, this position may provide individualized direct patient care utilizing the skills and knowledge relevant to the care of such patients. This position provides supervision to the T&R Nurse I, T&R Nurse II and ancillary personnel and reports directly to the Nurse Manager.
Duties of a Clinician may include the following but are not limited to::
- Assumes Charge RN role on unit. Provides first level supervision to nursing staff. Offers feedback regarding staff performance and initiates disciplinary action if warranted.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for the delivery of nursing care to all assigned patients.
- Develops the initial nursing assessment and interdisciplinary plan of care within eight hours of admission. Reviews or revises nursing assessment and interdisciplinary plan of care according to changes in patient’s condition at a minimum of every 24 hours.
- Prepares daily patient care assignments based on the individual patient needs and the capabilities of the nursing staff members as evidenced by their credentials.
- Administers medications and treatments to patients according to the specific orders of the responsible physician.
- Provides documented evidence in the medical record of patient/family teaching and their responses and understanding of the teaching. Ensures that patient education and instructions are consistent with that of the physician or designee.
- Assumes preceptor role in orientation of nursing personnel and students on the unit. Provides written documentation to nursing leadership of achieved competencies by the orientee according to the standard of care for the unit/service.
- Renders direct patient care in selected instances serving as a role model, teacher, or resource person. Demonstrates evidence of advanced, current knowledge and skill in the clinical management of patients within the specialty area.
- Monitors the quality of nursing care rendered and the documentation of the nursing process through direct interaction with nursing staff members and their assigned patients and families.
- Completes yearly evaluations and competencies of nursing personnel in a timely manner in collaboration with nurse manager.
Working conditions may involve exposure to infectious disease, blood, body fluids and/or tissue as well as other unpleasant elements such as accidents, injuries and illness. May be exposed to and be required to handle varying unpredictable, emergency and crisis situations. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours and pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries. This position is classified by OSHA as Category 1.
Required: Possession of or eligibility for a license to practice as a registered nurse in New York State and two years of post-licensure acute care* clinical nursing experience. A Bachelors Degree in Nursing may be substituted for one year of the experience.
Promotion: Two years of permanent competitive service as a Teaching and Research Center Nurse 2, Grade 16 or one year of permanent competitive service as a Teaching and Research Center Specialty Nurse, Grade 18.
**Current PACU/ periop expereince preferred. Progressive leadership experience preferred. Certification in professional specialty, BSN, ICU, ACLS, BLS, PALS.
Please be advised this position requires you to complete the Civil Service New York State Examination application (NYS-APP) in addition to your online application.
Please complete this application by downloading a copy at http://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/nysapp.pdf
Once completed, please fax the form to 631-444-4724 Att: Sadaf Faridi or email it to [email protected]
We must receive the completed application in order to consider you for this position. If you have problems submitting the form, please contact Sadaf at 631-444-4739.
Must be physically capable of safely executing the duties and responsibilities required of the position.
Physical demands may include:
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: T & R Center Nurse III
Job Field: Nurse Clinician
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: PACU-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Evening Shift 3-1130pPACU-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Nov 30, 2018
Posting End Date: Dec 14, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG20