Required Qualifications: As per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Must have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list. The Civil Service list for this position might provide insufficient acceptors, therefore, a provisional appointment may be made. Any provisional appointee will be required to take, pass and be reachable on the next Civil Service examination to be permanently appointed. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver’s License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. (***Out-of-State Applicants, see "Special Notes”). Must be able to move heavy objects (examples: trash bags, bags of salt and ice, floor machines and shoveling snow.)
Preferred Qualifications: Ability to supervise and train assigned subordinate personnel. Experience supervising, excellent written and verbal communications, strong computer skills (Microsoft Office: Word and Excel, and Google Mail/Apps)
Brief Description of Duties: Directs in-house operational personnel as assigned in the cleaning of the Main Campus facilities to maintain and improve appearance and ensure the general safety, health and comfort of the students, faculty, and staff. Ensures that all resources required to support the cleaning needs are provided for (including materials, equipment, and personnel) in order to complete the assigned work in the most economical, efficient, and timely manner possible with minimal inconvenience to the campus community. Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Oversee all assigned buildings, supervising the staff to adhere to cleaning standards and cleaning procures within their assigned buildings. Routinely reports maintenance deficiencies within their assigned buildings.
- Supervision of assigned staff, provides verbal and written reports as they relate to hiring, training, employee performance evaluation, personnel policy, verbal and written counseling's as it relates to certain kinds of behaviors and for time and attendance abuse. Plan a continual work schedule in the cleaning and care of the buildings assigned. Complete weekly time sheets for employees. Inform and instruct staff of agency policies and directives in meeting and in memoranda.
- Inspects buildings and assigned areas for compliance with cleaning programs utilizing custodial software. Investigates complaints of unsatisfactory cleaning performance and tasks corrective action to avoid repetition and resolve problems. Enters work orders for any maintenance deficiencies found in their buildings.
- Provides verbal and written instructions to staff for special requested services that vary from routine operations and ensures that staff has necessary supplies and equipment to perform tasks.
- Prepares and supervised periodic reports such as work activity, cost reports, attendance records, and manpower utilization and advice management staff of the status of custodial operations in a timely manner.
- Supervises the arrangement, set-up, and breakdown of premises for special events, such as graduation exercises and conferences.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff.
SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Official Job Title: Supervising Janitor
Job Field: Janitors
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Residential Operations Custodial-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.Residential Operations Custodial-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Nov 30, 2018
Posting End Date: Dec 14, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG11