Working Title: Genetic Counselor
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Pediatrics
Posting Date: 10-01-2018
The Department of Pediatrics is seeking a Genetic Counselor. Position includes Pediatric/Medical Genetics clinic activities, patient counseling and working with our enzyme replacement program and metabolic diseases program.
Position requires Master's degree in Genetic Counseling and must be board eligible or board certified by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC). Certification required within 18 months of date of hire. One year of clinical experience in genetic counseling is preferred. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to work with a high degree of independence and professionalism to provide high-level genetic expertise to physicians and clients. Must have knowledge of common medical genetics terms, conditions, and tests, the ability to deal with sensitive and confidential patient issues and the ability to work within a team are required. Incumbent is responsible for traveling to satellite clinics, including some overnight travel.
For additional information about this opportunity please contact Dr. William G. Wilson @ [email protected] or 434-924-2665.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2. Ability to work with high degree of independence and professionalism to provide high-level genetic expertise to physicians and clients.
3. Knowledge of common Medical Genetics terms, conditions and tests.
4. Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential patient issues.
5. Ability to work as a member of a team in a team-oriented environment.
6. Access to transportation and ability to travel overnight periodically to provide outreach clinic coverage.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=85660