Director of HR
University of Colorado Denver
College of Arts & Media
Director of Human Resources
Position #00002571 - Requisition #15252
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The College of Arts & Media has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Human Resources position.
As Colorado's only public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver educates more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and with easy access to the state's cultural, business and civic hub, our students benefit from immersive classroom and real-world experiences, supplemented by unparalleled internship and networking opportunities. As the most diverse research university in Colorado, our campus attracts top students and offers over more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges, as well as more than 30 online degree programs. Home to over 40 research centers and institutes, CU Denver receives more than $25 million in sponsored research awards annually, allowing us to generate knowledge and create solutions to society's most complex problems. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Nature of Work:
The Director of Human Resources for the College of Arts & Media is responsible for all human resources and payroll aspects of faculty, students, exempt professional and classified staff personnel administration. This position provides ongoing policy guidance and interpretation to the deans, department chairs, administrators, supervisors and faculty and staff on a wide range of HR related functions such as compliance with policies and laws, employment and compensation, job evaluation, recruitment, hiring, onboarding, performance management, employee relations, leave, relocation, promotion, tenure and post-tenure review support, employee training/development, employee relations, benefits, and employee/payroll records. This position also is responsible for payroll management for approximately 65 faculty members, 30 staff members, 80 Lecturers monthly, and 100 students biweekly. The individual in this position must remain current on policies and procedures for the above tasks and ensure compliance with all university, state and federal guidelines. An essential part of this position is to provide the supports that enable an ideal working environment, a culture of mutual respect, and the ability to collectively and individually address the CU Denver 5 Strategic Priorities and 6 College of Arts & Media Strategic Initiatives.
Examples of Work Performed:
This position is responsible for all aspects of faculty, staff and student personnel and payroll administration including recruitment, hiring, onboarding, training, visa acquisition, relocation, termination, employee relations, leave, annual performance evaluation and planning, advising and ensuring compliance with university rules and regulations, managing contracts, pay, additional pay, overloads, HRIS system management and other appointment details. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all aspects of classified staff personnel administration including recruitment, appointment, termination, performance evaluation, absence records and workers compensation and risk management claims processing.
- Hire and onboard new employees following federal, state, CU and internal CAM requirements.
- Provide ongoing advice and guidance to managers, department chairs and members of the executive committee on matters related to human resources.
- Advise supervisors on policies and procedures governing employee groups.
- Provide training and guidance on performance evaluation and planning for all staff and faculty
- Keep current with university and state policies and procedures for hiring, training, evaluating, retaining and dismissing classified personnel; writing position descriptions and obtaining proper classification of positions; orienting and training classified staff.
- Responsible for evaluating promotional opportunities within the school and developing programs to improve retention, enhance skills, advance individual careers and generally foster an atmosphere that promotes positive employee morale.
- Oversee recruitment and hiring including job description development, search committee development and processes, guidance on interviews, sourcing references and strategic approaches to making offers. Coordinate all offers based on university policy.
- Ensure proper training and onboarding for new hires.
- Assist with the development of language in job descriptions and position announcements that ensure fair and equitable search processes for faculty and staff while emphasizing a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Serve as the CAM liaison with Human Resources and Employee Services on all matters related to HRM including pay, benefits, performance management, disciplinary procedures, hiring and contracts.
- Ensure accurate and timely submission of monthly, BW and off-cycle payroll transactions in accordance with university rules and regulations.
- Oversee leave usage for all applicable personnel and ensure appropriate policies and procures are being following. This includes coordinating and tracking family medical leave.
- Update employee status that ensures accuracy of the CU HR system including terminations, short work breaks, leaves of absence, job code changes, promotions, family medical leave, sabbaticals, etc.
- Oversee and coordinate all posting, recruitment and hiring functions through CU Careers and HCM.
- Facilitate HR processes for CAM faculty who teach abroad at ICB (a joint education program between CU Denver and China Agricultural University (CAU) in Beijing) and CU Succeeds (a program that offers juniors and seniors the opportunity to get a head start on college by earning college credit while still in high school).
- Oversee policies and fulfillment of approved reimbursements for relocation and visas (if needed) for newly hired faculty.
- Manage summer appointment processes including collection of information, preparation of contracts, compliance with 3/9 and 1/9 rules and data entry.
- Support summer camp hiring, contracts and pay in compliance with university policy and summer pay regulations.
- Track and ensure accurate record-keeping of overloads, additional pay, course releases and Director and Chair appointments.
- Works with the Assistant Dean to manage faculty and staff salary setting and upload processes. This includes annual updating of all information related to the merit review process including new salary and appointment information.
- Works with Assistant Dean to perform compensation analyses and maintain internal pay equity.
- Work with department Chairs and Directors to oversee Lecturer hiring and pay each semester. Utilize necessary scheduling reports and liaison with Chairs, Directors and departments as needed to confirm enrollments and teaching assignments for all courses and applied lessons.
- Represent CAM and the school on school-wide, campus and university committees as assigned.
- Works with Assistant Dean on planning, budgeting and tracking of payroll, salaries, benefits, Lecturer pay, and summer budgets.
- Other duties as assigned.
The position reports to the Assistant Dean of Business & Operations and supervises the HR & Operations Coordinator. This position may also supervise one or more student workers.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring salary has been established as $74,000. Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- A bachelor's degree in public administration, public policy, business, higher education administration, social sciences, behavioral sciences or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Four years of related human resources management experience will substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Eight years of experience in human resources management in the areas of recruitment, selection, and/or employee relations.
- Prior supervisory experience
- A Master's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
- Professional Human Resources experience at an institution of higher education
- Organizational relations experience
- Experience in faculty affairs (research/creative work, student learning and university citizenship).
- PHR or SPHR Certification
- Experience with PeopleSoft HCM
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and serve as an advisor and trusted confidant to the leadership team.
- A willingness to work in an environment that encourages creativity and values artistic expression.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve desired results.
- Has the capacity to evaluate policies and exercise good judgment in the interpretation an informed/consistent application of policies, procedures and rules.
- Skills to organize and complete complex projects and to work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply knowledge of the school's organizational structure within an academic setting.
- The talent to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with senior level faculty, campus and school administrators and CAM students.
- An understanding of the inherent need to establish and maintain effective and collegial relationships with staff, faculty, students and with departmental representatives within the campus and university.
- Familiarity with the State of Colorado Personnel Rules and Regulations, visa acquisition procedures and training and retention programs for support personnel.
- An expertise for melding university rules and regulations that enable an optimal work environment for faculty and other personnel.
- A working knowledge of the professional standards, concepts, and practices of recruitment and selection, employee relations, organizational development and human resource policy.
- Ability to advance the skills needed to impart supervisory techniques, management principles, and organizational leadership.
- An ability to analyze, interpret and evaluate a broad range of laws, rules, and policies in order to exercise good judgment in applying them to human resource functions.
- Strong negotiation and management skills.
- Demonstrated essential commitment to diversity and inclusion throughout the college and institution.
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. The preferred application deadline is January 1, 2019. Those who do not apply by January 1, 2019 may or may not be considered.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Job Category: Human Resources
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30119 - CAM-Dean's Office
Posting Date: Nov 30, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lindsie Haggerty
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00002571