Research Specialist, Genetic Testing - Institute for Sustainability, Energy, & Environment (107084)
Institute for Sustainability, Energy and Environment
University of Illinois
RESEARCH SPECIALIST, GENETIC TESTING
A Senior Research Scientist position is available as part of the Feedstock Theme in the new U.S. Department of Energy-funded Bioenergy Research Center (BRC), the Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation (CABBI). The scientists in this theme will employ the "plants-as-factories" paradigm, in which biofuels, bioproducts, high-value molecules, and foundation molecules for conversion are synthesized directly in plant stems. This plants-as-factories approach circumvents the challenges of developing efficient lignocellulose deconstruction methods, while still retaining residual biomass for deconstruction by traditional or emerging methods.The main thrust of projects will be on high-yielding grasses throughout the rain-fed eastern U.S., including on marginal soils. CABBI will focus on Sorghum, Sugarcane, Energycane, and Miscanthus. Sorghum and Sugarcane are the world's highest biomass producers with demonstrated potential for accumulation of oil in vegetative biomass after successful metabolic engineering. This position will conduct and manage research to evaluate performance of genetic variation in sorghum and related bioenergy grasses.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate breeding and seed production functions that support genetic testing research. Contribute to collection of phenotypic data from testing experiments.
- Cooperate with other faculty, staff, students, and collaborating scientists to efficiently plan and manage field and greenhouse experiments for data collection and analysis.
- Manage inventories of supplies and equipment needed for genetic testing research.
- Provide oversight and consultation for maintenance and operation of field equipment.
- Hire, train, and supervise students and/or hourly employees in support of research activities. Ensure safe conduct of research and compliance with biosafety regulations.
- Required: Bachelor of Science
- Preferred: B.S. degree in crop sciences or other agricultural disciplines
- Required: Two years' experience with agricultural research.
- Preferred: Experience with crop seed production. Previous supervisory experience preferred.
Training, Licenses or Certifications:
- Required: Already have or ability to obtain IL pesticide applicator's license.
- Required: Familiarity with databases and data management systems
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Appointment Status: Full-time academic professional, grant-supported appointment renewable annually pending continued funding and satisfactory progress within the position. Qualified individuals will be eligible to receive vacation, sick, and personal leave; retirement through the State Universities Retirement System; and group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
Applications must be received by December 14, 2018. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Interviews may be conducted prior to the closing date; however, a hiring decision will not be made until after the closing date. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of which details qualifications noted above, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The start date will be as soon as possible after closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information, please contact Erica Hanson, Human Resources, [email protected]
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
Title: Research Specialist, Genetic Testing - Institute for Sustainability, Energy, & Environment (107084)
Open Date: 11/30/2018
Close Date: 12/14/2018
Organization Name: Inst for Sustain, Enrgy, and Env