HR Business Partner - Prairie Research Institute (107253)
HR Business Partner
Prairie Research Institute
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Prairie Research Institute (PRI), a research and service institute of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis, houses five large scientific surveys covering a wide range of expertise including biology, water resources, climate, geology, sustainable technology, and archaeology. PRI's mission is to provide objective, integrated scientific research and service that allow citizens and decision-makers to make choices that ensure sustainable economic development, enduring environmental quality, and cultural resource preservation for the people, businesses, and governments of Illinois. Learn more at go.illinois.edu/PRIjobs.
PRI is seeking to hire a Human Resources Business Partner to provide expertise and facilitates operations for the Prairie Research Institute's (PRI's) human resources administration regarding the full employment life cycle including recruitment and hiring, compensation, international employment, employee relations and HR policy.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide knowledge and guidance to managers, scientists and directors with workforce planning.
- Monitor hiring trends that will guide determination of open searches, compensation and best advertising practices.
- Manage searches for academic and civil service positions, following all unit, campus, University, state and federal policies and procedures.
- Design and implement onboarding programs and staff training and development initiatives.
- Interpret Campus/University/state and federal policies and procedures and serve as a resource to departmental staff.
- Advise directors and managers on succession planning, compensation and pay and other service deliverables.
- With some direction, work with managers to resolve general employee relations issues.
- Assist with development and implementation of the annual merit program.
- Act as a back up to payroll services.
- Process visas and green cards.
- Manage University compliance initiatives such as ethics training, RNUAs and FMLA.
- Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of PRI.
- Keep abreast of developments in this discipline.
BA/BS degree in Human Resources or related field.
Four (4) years of professional-level human resources experience including one year of recruiting and candidate placement.
Preferred: Alternative degree fields may be considered if accompanied by equivalent experience, depending on nature and depth of experience as it relates to current PRI projects and technologies. Experience collaborating with senior staff members conveying best practices and policies with an emphasis on building relationships and engaging stakeholders. Experience with public speaking.
Successful candidates will have:
Intimate knowledge of Human Resources federal and state policies. Strong professional writing skills. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision. Attention to detail, sound judgment, and strong conflict resolution skills. Proficiency in commonly-employed software and databases.
Appointment: This is a full-time Civil Service Human Resource Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The starting date is negotiable and salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume/CV (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial copy of transcripts or copy of your diploma is acceptable) by December 14, 2018. An online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Megan Weeks at [email protected] or 217-244-4768.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encourages to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.eud/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of Vice Chancellor for Research
Title: HR Business Partner - Prairie Research Institute (107253)
Open Date: 11/30/2018
Close Date: 12/14/2018
Organization Name: Prairie Research Institute