Human Resources Coordinator - University Housing (105904)
Human Resources Coordinator
University of Illinois
This position coordinates the labor and employee relations functions and oversees the Housing Human Resources activities. Provides human resources support to meet the needs of the departments in University Housing. Works with the Senior Assistant Director for Housing Human Resources to develop and implement HR systems, processes and programs. May facilitate and conduct training, participate on teams and projects and utilize technology for key HR processes.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the Human Resource professionals in Housing Human Resources, which includes a Human Resources Specialist and two Human Resources Associates. Ensures that activities and services adequately meet the business and/or operational needs of the University. Responsible for hiring, training, providing professional direction and on-going supervision and conducts annual performance appraisals. This supervision includes oversight over the following areas: hiring processes for Academic Professional, Civil Service, Resident Advisors, PGA and GA employees; labor relations, FMLA, disability, workers' compensation, leave management, and ADA accommodations.
- Functions as a consultant to all constituencies within the organization, providing guidance and/or problem resolution for highly sensitive and unique human resource-related matters. Coordinates and administers labor and employee relations functions for University Housing. Advises management on questions related to Civil Service policy and rules and the collective bargaining agreements. Works closely with Labor Relations at Illinois Human Resources. Manages the Performance Partnership Program (PPP) for University Housing and conducts investigations as necessary. Drafts grievance response letters and attends grievance hearings. May also attend labor/management meetings and collective bargaining negotiation sessions.
- Conducts research, interprets findings, and makes recommendations for various HR related topics. Creates/processes/analyzes various HR reports, (monthly, quarterly and as needed).
- Develops, implements and maintains policies and programs that support the values and culture of the organization. Participates in determining long and short-range goals and objectives of overall human resources and may represent HHR on planning committees.
- Coordinates the Ethics training, Haven training, and performance appraisal process. Conducts training sessions as needed and may assist with the new employee orientation program.
- Serves as a backup with personnel processing which may include notifying Illinois Human Resources on hiring needs, administering applications, and initiating hiring process in HireTouch. May assist with file maintenance ensuring employee files are in compliance with federal and state laws as well as campus guidelines.
- May attend meetings on behalf of the Senior Assistant Director.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in human resources administration, labor relations, business administration, or a field related to the position.
- Three years of professional-level human resources experience that included making recommendations based on HR policy, employee relations, leave management (including FMLA, workers' compensation, and disability), working with unions and collective bargaining, and writing and editing HR reports.
- Master's degree in Human Resources Management, Labor and Employee Relations or related field.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or related certification is preferred.
Highly Qualified Candidates will have:
• Public university experience providing human resources support and coordination.
• Possess knowledge of Labor and Employee Relations including previous experience working in a union environment, participating in negotiation process or interpreting collective bargaining agreements.
• Possess broad knowledge of general principles and procedures applied in Human Resources areas.
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills.
• Proficiency in writing and editing HR reports.
• Experience with and working with confidential, time-sensitive data.
• Previous experience working with timekeeping software and databases.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Human Resources Associate position, with the working title of Human Resources Coordinator appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the deadline. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) by December 14, 2018. An online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact a member of the Housing Human Resources team at [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Housing
Title: Human Resources Coordinator - University Housing (105904)
Open Date: 11/30/2018
Close Date: 12/14/2018
Organization Name: Housing Division