Operations Business Manager
Operations Business Manager
Operations Business Manager
Vice Chancellor/Gen Counsel- 930000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
The University of North Texas System Office of General Counsel has an immediate opening for an Operations Business Manager.
The UNTS Legal Department includes eleven attorneys and six support staff divided between the UNT System Office in Dallas and the UNT Denton Campus. The UNT System also includes the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth and the University of North Texas at Dallas. As an office that is fully committed to excellence, the department works collaboratively to deliver advice to our higher education clients in an atmosphere of trust and respect.
This Operations Business Manager will be located in the UNT System building in Dallas.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The Operations Business Manager will report directly to the Vice Chancellor/General Counsel. He or she will develop and initiate department-wide efficiency and modernization initiatives, help oversee and improve the day-to-day operations of the legal department, manage and coordinate the activities of the LD Support Staff team and provide executive administrative support to the General Counsel. This person will be encouraged to innovate and build upon current processes, working closely with the General Counsel, attorneys and support staff within the legal department.
The primary functions for which this person is responsible are:
* Staff Management and Development
* Strategic Planning and Data Analytics
* Finance and Budget Management
* Outside Counsel and Legal Vendor Management
* Legal Technology Support & Strategy
* Department Administration and Communication
For Staff Management & Development, this position will:
* Act as the direct supervisor to various Support Staff personnel
* Coordinate and oversee activities of the LD Support Staff
* Develop in-house professional development programming, plan and schedule programs, identify topics and speakers
* Act in a Human Resources capacity by managing the hiring process and overseeing the department professional development initiatives
For Strategic Planning and Data Analytics, this position will:
* Collect and analyze LD metrics, covering topics such as matter management, outside counsel, department productivity, personnel and operating budget
* Develop and prepare reports of key performance indicators, including graphical display
* Develop productivity dashboards
* Support general counsel with LD strategic planning, goal setting, and measurement
For Budget and Finance, this position will:
* Partner with the LD leadership, Finance, IT and Procurement to develop and manage the LD annual strategic operating plan and budget
* Improve the value of budget data: help determine and create the financial reports most beneficial to all LD groups; include spend analysis, efficiency initiatives and technology
* Improve data integrity and analytical reporting capacity: Identify, collect, and report on key performance indicators and meaningful metrics
For Legal Technology Support & Strategy, this position will:
* Develop and optimize existing technologies (e.g.: Worldox, Amicus, Office 365)
* Research and design a legal technology roadmap
* Research opportunities for appropriate technology additions (Examples: automated workflows, document management, contract repository, dashboards, eBilling, RFP software, group communication platforms, etc.)
* Champion the implementation and training process for new products
For Outside Counsel and Vendor Management, the position will:
* Act as the first point of contact for invoice processing, streamline invoice approval process
* Supervise other Support Staff in the administration of the invoice approval process
* Administer RFP and law firm convergence/evaluation programs
* Research and suggest alternative pricing models for vendor engagements
* Manage vendor relationships, expenses and incidents, track performance
For Communication & Administration position will:
* Develop department communications and presentations for the GC and Legal Department executives
* Plan and execute executive meetings, both onsite and off
* Participate in legal department senior staff meetings and communicate relevant information to staff
* Perform and oversee special projects that are highly sensitive or complex in nature, requiring a high-level of independence and initiative in execution and implementation
* Act as an executive assistant to the GC, serving as a trusted gatekeeper who understands the preferences of the GC in order to prioritize issues accordingly and oversee highly confidential work
The successful candidate will possess a business or administration college level degree (or similar) with significant expertise in finance and budgeting as well as experience in a legal department or law firm. They must also have demonstrated proficiency in project management, administration, and legal technology.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* An ability to work collegially and in an ethical, professional, and tactful manner
* An ability and willingness to engage in creative thinking and problem solving
* An ability to establish cooperative working relationships with members of the Office of General Counsel and with the varied constituents within the UNT System and its component institutions
* Excellent time management and prioritization skills
* Demonstrated project management skills
* The ability to work independently and to be self-motivated while handling multiple assignments in an array of areas with moderate supervision.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Experience in managing other Support Staff
* Training in other areas related to business or public institutions
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position will be located with a team of attorneys and support staff in the UNT System building in Dallas. Travel to other UNT System locations is required to provide the high-quality service that is the hallmark of the office.
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter, a list of three professional references and a writing sample with their online application. Writing sample should not be more than six pages.
**Please submit all Applications to http://unt-dallas.peopleadmin.com/postings/3616 **
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting