English Assistant Professor (Puente)
Description of Position
Diablo Valley College is seeking applicants for 1 full-time tenure-track academic position in English with a focus on the Puente Project to begin in August 2019. In addition to being well-qualified to teach a range of English courses, successful applicants should also plan to teach in and co-coordinate DVC€™s Puente Project for 4-5 years in line with Puente best practices. Bilingual applicants highly encouraged to apply.
English Assistant Professor (Puente)
Diablo Valley College
Master€™s in English, literature, comparative literature, or Composition
Bachelor€™s in any of the above AND Master€™s in linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a
specialization in reading, creative writing or journalism
A valid California Community College Instructor Credential authorizing full-time instruction in English
OR the equivalent.
If you do not possess the EXACT minimum qualifications (i.e. you do not possess the exact degree listed) and believe that you meet the minimum qualifications because of equivalent educational or professional background), please fill out the equivalency form found at http://www.4cd.edu/career/forms/MastersDegreeEquiv.pdf
1. Demonstrated commitment to student learning and to the success of all students in the open-access learning environment of a community college;
2. Demonstrated sensitivity to issues of diversity, and ability to motivate and teach community college students of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, genders, cultures, and learning styles, as well as students with disabilities or varied levels of academic preparation;
3. Interest, training, and/or experience in teaching in the Puente Project, which includes linked English, Counseling, and Library Studies courses and embedding student services in the curriculum;
4. Training and/or experience in teaching composition and reading to historically under-represented students with differing abilities, levels of preparation, and cultural experiences utilizing culturally-relevant texts and assignments;
5. Interest in, experience with, and/or commitment to co-coordinating the Puente Program; this includes budgeting for, planning, and implementing college tours, cultural activities, tutoring, a community mentor program, and other off-campus activities and events (including some evenings and weekends);
6. Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusivity, and increasing the success of historically under-represented students, including Latinx, refugee, immigrant, generation 1.5, undocumented, and/or first-generation college students, as well as understanding of the specific needs and challenges of these populations;
7. Strong interpersonal skills, commitment to collaboration, and a flexible approach to working in the evolving community college landscape;
8. Demonstrated interest in and commitment to self-reflection and adaptation both in the classroom and as a member of the department and college community, including attending ongoing Puente training and professional development.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please respond to the required Supplemental Questions addressing the minimum and desirable qualifications. Also, please respect the word limits for each question. These supplemental questions are a required part of the application. They are designed to give you the opportunity to provide information about how you meet the desirable qualifications for the position. ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS even if you repeat information provided elsewhere in the application. The information provided in these questions will be used to determine which individuals will be invited for an interview and teaching demonstration. Your cover letter should respond to the prompt under €supplemental questions€ below. Include all undergraduate and graduate unofficial transcripts (must show date degree was conferred). Note: The disciplines listed in the minimum qualifications are determined by the statewide Academic Senate for California Community Colleges. A PhD is considered to encompass a Master€™s degree. Other than that, if the title(s) of your degree major(s) listed on your unofficial transcripts or other documents from the degree-granting institutions are not an EXACT MATCH to the degrees listed below, please submit an equivalency form. Without it, your application will not be considered. You can copy and paste the following in your browser, http://www.4cd.edu/career/forms/MastersDegreeEquiv.pdf, to obtain the equivalency form. The completed form can be uploaded in the attachment section of the application.
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
The Contra Costa Community College District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation. This prohibition against unlawful discrimination extends to any person who is perceived to have any of the above characteristics or who is associated with someone who has, or who is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.