Physics Assistant Professor
Description of Position
Diablo Valley College is seeking a full-time tenure track assistant professor in Physics to begin August 2019. The successful applicant will be well qualified to teach all lower division physics courses, including lectures and labs.
Physics Assistant Professor
Diablo Valley College
The applicant must possess one of the following qualifications (earned degrees must be from an accredited college/university):
1. Master€™s degree in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics; OR
2. Bachelor€™s degree in physics or astronomy AND a master€™s degree in engineering, mathematics, meteorology, or geophysics; OR
3. A valid California Community College Instructor Credential authorizing full-time instruction in Physics; OR
4. The equivalent. If you do not possess the EXACT minimum qualifications (i.e. you do not possess the exact degree listed) and believe that you meet the minimum qualifications because of equivalent educational or professional background, please fill out the equivalency form found in the attachment section of the application. You can copy and paste the following in your browser to obtain the equivalency form: www.dvc.edu/masters-equiv
1. Demonstrated commitment to student learning and to the success of all students in the open-access learning environment of a community college;
2. Demonstrated ability to address equity gaps by motivating and teaching community college students of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, genders, cultures, and learning styles, as well as students with disabilities or varied levels of academic preparation;
3. Master€™s degree or Ph.D. in Physics;
4. Demonstrated commitment to student learning in physics;
5. Demonstrated interest in teaching conceptual physics as well as calculus based physics at the high school or lower division college level;
6. Demonstrated interest in developing innovative approaches to teaching in both lecture and lab;
7. Effective written and oral communication skills;
8. An interest and ability to work within the department, division, and college community to achieve the strategic goals of the college which are focused on excellence, institutional effectiveness, student success and achieving equity in the rates of educational outcomes across student demographic groups.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please respond to the required Supplemental Questions addressing the minimum and desirable qualifications. These supplemental questions are a required part of the application. They are designed to give you the opportunity to provide information about how you meet the desirable qualifications for the position. ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS even if you repeat information provided elsewhere in the application. The information provided in these questions will be used to determine which individuals will be invited for an interview and teaching demonstration. Note: The disciplines listed in the minimum qualifications are determined by the statewide Academic Senate for California Community Colleges. A PhD is considered to encompass a Masters degree. Other than that, if the title(s) of your degree major(s) listed on your unofficial transcripts or other documents from the degree-granting institutions are not an EXACT MATCH to the degrees listed below, please submit an equivalency form. Without it, your application will not be considered. You can copy and paste the following in your browser, www.dvc.edu/masters-equiv.pdf, to obtain the equivalency form. The completed form can be uploaded in the attachment section of the application.
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
The Contra Costa Community College District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation. This prohibition against unlawful discrimination extends to any person who is perceived to have any of the above characteristics or who is associated with someone who has, or who is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.