Systems Administrator II
Systems Administrator II
Systems Administrator II
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
IT Infrastructure & Research Computing
Proposed Minimum Salary
Corpus Christi, Texas
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi is searching for a Systems Administrator II to join its Information Technology Infrastructure, & Research Computing team. This position will assist with delivering robust, stable, and secure infrastructure in support of the University's administrative, educational, and research needs.
A systems administrator is responsible for ensuring the uptime, performance, resources, and security of server infrastructure to meet the needs of users. A Systems Administrator II will administer large and/or multiple client servers (including virtual servers), design and support both Windows and Linux server infrastructure, generate reports, perform complex troubleshooting, assist with customer requests within our ticketing software, and maintain positive client relations.
- Responsible for the design, installation, development, integration, testing, documentation, monitoring, and ongoing maintenance of assigned systems within departmental standards. Administration of Linux and Windows server based supporting University teaching & learning, research, and administrative activities. Work with appropriate IT areas to maintain necessary security levels. Create system documentation and best practices. Lead analysis efforts and issue resolution with enterprise wide impact. Coordinate additional hardware, network, and/or software infrastructure components and their interdependencies. Responsible for planning, developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing the assigned application environments. Support and develop security for users. Collaborate with other teams to develop and implement hardware and software requirements. Schedule and implement major and minor software releases as well as emergency service and/or security packs. Provide access by assigning roles and maintaining security for auditing purposes.
Design and Implementation
- Provide system / storage design recommendations based on the architecture of application packages. Provide expertise regarding the scaling and integration of systems infrastructure across the organization and work with application vendors to evaluate the impact of upgrades. Provide expertise and assist customers, developers and partners with design decisions. Identify and record gaps between business requirements and product functionality. Identify and recommend alternative work-around based on technical feasibility. Provide documentation of solutions to software problems and act as technical consultant for the application life cycle. Assist customers and partners with design decisions. Ensure system integrity by configuring and maintaining proper security safeguards. Install and configure hosted applications as requested by customers.
Monitoring and Maintenance
- Maintain monitoring and data gathering systems for reporting and performance purposes. Determine thresholds for system monitoring warnings and implement processes. Design, develop, maintain, document, and implement processes and procedures to pull performance and general metrics information using application logs. Interface with central monitoring facility to coordinate installation and configuration of monitoring software. Generate and provide routine and ad hoc reports or dashboards to management. Provide consulting to application owners and end users about the use of monitoring facilities on assigned systems. Monitor system resource usage and performance. Create and maintain user accounts. Maintain monitoring and data gathering systems for reporting and performance purposes; create and maintain documentation on system architecture. Work with vendors to address and resolve problems.
- Assist in product evaluations of applications, tools, and utilize to support the enterprise architecture. Adhere to internal controls established for department. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Technology, Information Science, Engineering, or related fields.
- Three (3) years of IT experience in system, application, and/or database administration to include two (2) years of system/server administration experience.
- Additional experience may be considered as a substitution for the minimum education requirement.
- Experience developing or monitoring and maintaining enterprise applications on multiple platforms including Windows/UNIX/Linux.
- Experience with administering virtualization platforms such as VMware or Hyper-V. Experience deploying solutions in a heterogeneous Windows/UNIX computing environment including physical and virtual servers.
- Due do federal law on deemed export controls, it is not possible to petition for an H1B work authorization.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, temporary resident, refugee or asylee.
- Project management and higher education experience. Demonstrated experience in all of the following: system, storage, back-up or network administration.
- Experience with one or more of the following authentication technologies: Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth, ADFS.
- Experience with Microsoft System Center products, Red Hat Satellite or similar technologies.
- MS Exchange or Office 365 administration experience.
- Professional certifications such as VMware Certified Associate, MCSE, or RHCSA.
- Experience with software ticketing systems such as Service Now or Agiloft.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/job/Corpus-Christi-TAMUCC/Systems-Administrator-II_R-014702
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency