PRA - Sherbenou Lab
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Nature of Work
The Department of Medicine in the Bone Marrow Transplantation and Hematological Malignancies Program at the University of Colorado is looking for a bright and enthusiastic individual to join a research lab focused on the study of multiple myeloma. Principle responsibility will be to carry out translational studies on novel treatments and a personalized medicine approach for multiple myeloma. This will include the banking and study of bone marrow aspirate patient samples, cell culture and murine models. A minimum of a one-year commitment is strongly preferred for this position.
For more details about our research please see lab webpage: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/medicine/Hematology/bloodcancerandbmtprogram/research/SherbenouLab/Pages/default.aspx
Examples of Work Performed
- Techniques in cell culture; molecular biology; in vivo murine modeling; processing of bone marrow aspirate; sorting and analysis of rare human and mouse cells by magnetic bead separation and flow cytometry; immunocytochemistry; primer design and DNA/RNA manipulation; quantitative PCR; molecular cloning; DNA sequencing; gene expression studies, including microarrays and RNAseq; and RNAi technology. (Estimated effort: 85%)
- Assist in managing the laboratory daily operations, including but not limited to ordering, inventory, cleaning, and preparation of laboratory reagents. (Estimated effort: 10%)
- Teach students and other staff as needed and literature review (Estimated effort: 5%)
- Comply with all standard operating procedures and quality control systems
- Comply with any laboratory duties assigned by the PI.
The PRA position requires 100% effort Monday through Friday with flexible hours. Working in the evenings, weekends or holidays is not required, unless completion of work requires in extenuating circumstances. This is an at-will exempt position and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- BA or BS in biological sciences or related field
- A minimum of 1 year of laboratory experience in genetics, cellular immunology and/or molecular biology.
- Experience in an academic research lab with publications.
- Experience with animal models.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to be proficient in have a strong understanding of molecular biology, immunology, genetics/genomics, and cancer biology techniques.
- Ability to multitask, including managing multiple projects and laboratory duties concurrently. Skilled in data analysis and software (e.g. MS Excel, Prism)
- Ability to present data and information effectively
- Knowledgeable with Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and other common office software
- Able to form collaborations outside the lab
- Able to be technically adept, highly organized, and able to maintain meticulous records of experiments.
- Able to work independently with sound judgment, be able to identify and set priorities, and have a high attention to detail. Candidate should have excellent communication skills.
- Able to comply with all standard operating procedures and quality control systems
- Ability to work flexible hours based on experimental needs, including occasional nights & weekends.
- Able to work flexible hours based on experimental needs, including nights & weekends
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15203
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20164 - SOM-MED-BoneMarrow Transplant
Posting Date: Nov 29, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Spencer LaFasto
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00745998