Job Description Summary
The Floor Technician may work in any location on university premises. This individual cleans and maintains floors, carpets and hard surfaces in facilities or locations in the areas of the university. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but the university may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements, and industry requirements.
Duties and Tasks:
- Buffs, polishes and strips floors using heavy equipment at educational facilities, manufacturing space, production areas, athletic facilities, office building, or similar building.
- Cleans and buffs hard surfaces.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, polishes floors and vacuums hallways, stairs and office space, etc.
- Notifies Supervisor concerning need for major repairs or additions to lighting, heating, and ventilating equipment.
- Performs routine operational maintenance of equipment per manufacturer specifications
- May perform advanced cleaning procedures for carpeted floor and carpet care.
- May clean furniture. May empty trash, linen, and garbage containers.
- May handle hazardous waste in accordance with government regulations and Sodexo standards.
- May wash walls.
- May assist in training other employees.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- May drive golf carts, or other vehicles.
- May assist in inventorying floor care products.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience preferred. 12 months of related work experience preferred.
- Experience in a phases of floor and carpet care preferred.
- Knowledge of cleaning agents, equipment and methods of soil removal.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Ability to present self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, and students.
- Ability to provide clear directions and respond accordingly to employees.
- Ability to use relevant electronic devices.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior. Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance. Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity in light of university time and attendance policy and/or client operating hours, Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements. Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, Stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
WORKING CONDITIONS (MAY ADD ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS SPECIFIC TO DEFINED WORK LOCATION):
- Generally in an indoor setting; however, may participate in in outside activities and events.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates, while performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities,
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Wears protective clothing and/or Personal Protective Equipment required by the work environment or governmental regulations.
- Will be exposed to various cleaning chemicals.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.
Each year from 2012 to 2016, Saint Leo University was named one of Tampa Bay's Top Workplaces by the Tampa Bay Times .
The Top Workplaces in Tampa Bay program was created by the Tampa Bay Times and WorkplaceDynamics. The companies in this survey were ranked based on leadership, compensation and training, workplace flexibility, and diversity.
One of the Top-Ranked Universities in Florida
One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo is a Catholic, liberal arts school serving learners of all faiths.
We are traditional, but we are cutting edge
Established in 1889 by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body and spirit for all members of our community. Saint Leo has grown from a peaceful campus in the rolling hills of Central Florida to an institution of international consequence-ranked one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report
Our Tampa-area campus remains committed as ever to student-centered liberal arts education, and is strengthened by the global reach of our regionally accredited online programs and Education Centers in seven states across the U.S., including on many military bases.
We are Catholic, but we are for everyone
Our determination to make higher education more accessible to all has made Saint Leo a world leader in redefining the 21st century university. Saint Leo now serves more than 16,000 students from 49 states and 86 countries-ranking us among the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. Saint Leo is also one of the nation's 10 leading providers of higher education to the U.S. military.
While we are proudly Catholic, we teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.
Campus Security & Safety