2010009 BSD - Center for Data Intensive Science
About the Unit
The Center for Translational Data Science at the University of Chicago is a research center pioneering the discipline of translational data science to advance biology, medicine, and environmental research. We architect ecosystems of large-scale commons of research data, computing resources, applications, tools, and services for the broader research community to use data at scale to pursue scientific inquiry and accelerate discovery. These growing data commons offer petabytes of rich research data to scientists across the world.
As a DevOps Engineer, you will be a technical problem solver working to improve automation and tooling, support software releases, and manage cloud operations for our large-scale data intensive systems. You will have opportunities to work across multiple functional areas and engage with the open-source development community using our software. Our team of engineers and scientists works at the intersection of cutting edge research and production systems, both in terms of the bioinformatics and the computer science principles being utilized. Developing a deep technical understanding of the system, software, and security architecture will be critical to success in this role. You will focus on system availability, performance, and capacity monitoring, along with installation, configuration, and operations procedures. You will be given broadly defined goals and expected to work collaboratively across functional teams to determine best methods and technologies for achieving objectives. Your work will be informed by quantitative analysis and models for understanding and improving the overall performance of the system and by working with engineers to understand pain points.
This at-will position is wholly or partially funded by contractual grant funding which is renewed under provisions set by the grantor of the contract. Employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of these grant funds and satisfactory job performance.
- Production Support – Triage, research, communicate, address production incidents.
- Production Monitoring - Wrangle disparate system monitoring assets and develop common analytics to inform optimization, define benchmarks and confidence intervals, and forecast to proactively mitigate production incidents.
- CI/CD Design & Implementation - Design, implement, and maintain a build and deployment automation solution to enable CI/CD for hybrid cloud architecture (on-prem and public cloud).
- Security Automation – assist with the automation of our security and compliance procedures.
- Stay abreast of broad technical knowledge of existing and emerging technologies, including public cloud offerings from Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud.
- Ability to lead across a collaborative team environment required.
- Ability and willingness to acquire new programming languages, statistical and computational methods, and background in research area required.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet critical project milestones and deadlines required.
- Confidentiality related to sensitive matters such as strategic initiatives, trade secrets, quiet periods, and scientific discoveries yet to be put in the public domain.
- Ability to take a broad plan and break it into incremental tasks and oversee the completion of each task.
- Ability to come into a team used to minimal supervision and oversight and ensure accountability for deliverables and outcomes.
- Ability to persuade others to adapt new structures or systems in order to meet objectives.
Education, Experience, or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, or a quantitative field required.
- Advanced degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, or a relevant quantitative field preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years experience developing infrastructure, configuration and/or deployment automation required.
- Hands-on scripting experience (Bash, Python, or other dynamic language) required.
- Unix/Linux programming or system administration experience required.
- Experience with OpenStack and AWS p(EC2/S3) cloud technologies preferred.
- Experience with configuration management utility (Chef, Puppet, Ansible) preferred.
- Experience with F5 or other load balancing technologies (Nginx, AWS ELB/ALB, etc.) preferred.
- Experience with source control and build systems (SVN, Git, Jenkins, etc) preferred.
- Experience with container based deployment (Docker, Kubernetes) preferred.
- Experience with log aggregation tools (ELK stack, Splunk) preferred.
- Experience with security frameworks (FISMA, NIST, FIPS) preferred.
- Experience working in an agile environment preferred.
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/