Commandant of Cadets
Commandant of Cadets
Position Number: 10042128
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Dahlonega
Job Close Date: 12/12/2018
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Commandant of Cadets on the Dahlonega campus. The Commandant of Cadets will be for the operation and functioning of the Corps of Cadets. The Commandant reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs & Enrollment Management; and serves as one of two senior military advisors on campus.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Commandant of Cadets will:
- Supervise the daily operation of the Corps of Cadets
- Conduct the cadet discipline system to published standards
- Maintain close, personal working relationship with PMS to ensure a seamless student leadership development environment
- Conduct military training for Freshmen (Frog Week), Sophomore (NCOA) and Upper classmen (Pre-Command Course)
- Maintain strong working and communication relationships with SVPLGE and the PMS as well as build partnerships with PFA, NGCCA, CGE, Cadet Admissions and UNGAA in addition to keeping University officials informed of all matters pertaining to Corps of Cadets
- Supervise a 14 person Commandant's Staff within the Division of Student Affairs
- In coordination with Aux. Services and Residence Life, plan and manage all aspects of cadet housing
- Perform special duties and projects as directed by the President or VPSA & EM.
- Accept responsibility for Corps Advisory Council and associated Corps fundraising activities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of U.S. Army training doctrine and educational methodology.
- Knowledge of leadership, military discipline, oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of physical fitness, teaching, mediation, counseling, project management.
- Ability to meet physical requirements and fitness standards, teaching, mediation, counseling, project management.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Master's Degree; Doctorate preferred
- Preference will be given to a Retired Colonel or above with successful Battalion Command, and served/attended a SMC or a United States Service academy.
- Day to day responsibilities require cell phone for frequent response to urgent UNG business at any time of the day or night. Preference may be given to a UNG graduate
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references. This position will require a background check.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Identify Verification: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.