HERS is a dynamic and independent non-profit dedicated to creating and sustaining a community of women leaders through various strategies with a special focus in higher education. HERS alumnae include over 5,700 women on approximately 1,500 campuses in the U.S., as well women from institutions in Canada, South Africa, Uganda, Nigeria and other nations. HERS is located on the campus of and affiliated with the University of Denver.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Event Coordinator will oversee planning, coordinating, and executing program, meeting, and special events in order to fulfill the mission of HERS. She/he will serve as a liaison to HERS internal teams affiliated with the event, vendors, and participants and will provide organizational leadership for HERS conferences, workshops, meetings, and other special events. The Event Coordinator will plan a range of events and will need to apply knowledge of event planning principles, cost analysis, facilities requirements, equipment needs and resource management. Events range in size from small to large and duration from one to 16 days.
The Event Coordinator will guide the event planning process from goal of the event and HERS to execution and follow-up. Specifically she/he will coordinate the venue space, audio-visual equipment, catering, parking, etc. needs to ensure successful delivery of the event, meeting, conference, or workshop.
The Event Coordinator is expected to be onsite and will monitor or perform set-up of events to ensure success and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during events by use of event planning check lists and internal resources. As events are held around the country, she/he will be required to travel. The Event Coordinator will collaborate with communications and marketing to publicize events in order to promote and create event awareness.
- Arrange event while following all company and safety standards.
- Create an agreement and budget.
- Work with vendors, develop and review necessary contracts.
- Communicate all budget, space and vendor progress with internal department.
- Communicate any problems that arise in an upfront manner with internal department.
- Maintain communication with any outside vendors contracted for the event.
- Welcome all guests and address all needs.
- Prepare and execute a detailed outline of the event needs.
- Travel to event site and remain for duration of event.
- Arrange meeting space, lodging for participants, food and drink, music, visuals and any other needs, including services needed to support special needs.
- Schedule and ensure the required break down and cleaning of the event space once the event has drawn to a close.
Administrative and other duties as assigned
- Participate in internal process planning and strategic planning discussions.
- Miscellaneous administrative duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written skills including experience writing marketing or public relations text.
- Strong interpersonal skills including experience building and maintaining relationships with a diverse network of individuals and organizations.
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Time management skills and ability to prioritize a large volume of tasks.
- Ability to plan a variety of size functions from small (10) to large (100+).
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
- Great customer services skills.
- Ability to lift and move 30 lbs.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years of experience in event coordination.
- Experience managing budgets and coordinating across multiple vendors and stakeholders.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with evening and weekend hours as needed. This position will travel frequently.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00pm (MST) on Wednesday, December 12, 2018.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an affirmative action employer and that age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other applicable status protected by state or local law are not taken into account in any employment decision.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.