Assistant/Associate Professor of Computer Science (F165)
School/College: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Department: Engineering and Computer Science
Location: Azusa, CA
The Department of Engineering and Computer Science in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the Azusa Pacific University invites applications for a faculty position in Computer Science at the assistant or associate professor level. The Department offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Engineering and in Computer Science and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Computer Information Systems. The Computer Science program currently offers senior level courses and student research opportunities in areas such as Cyber Security, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Internet of Things, and Mobile Web Applications.
The Department places very strong emphasis on excellence in teaching at the undergraduate level although research and scholarly activities are also encouraged. There are long-term plans for growing into the graduate levels. The faculty members are also expected to be role models to the students in practicing their Christian faith in the contexts of their Engineering and Computer Science professions.
Specialization: Cyber Security (preferred), Artificial intelligence applications in machine learning, data analytics, Internet of Things, and similar emerging new areas.
- Teach upper- and lower-division lecture and lab courses (up to 24 teaching units per academic year)
- Maintain an active research agenda
- Participate in recruitment, mentoring and academic advising of undergraduate students
- Participate in department and university affairs
- Level: Assistant or Associate Professor
- A Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a closely related field is required. Computer science is strongly preferred but another related discipline with strong computer applications may be considered. Ph.D. candidates with ABD status are welcome to apply
- Evidence of course work in or industry exposure to one of the emerging applications areas such as cyber security, Internet of things, artificial intelligence, or big data analytics is highly desirable
- Experience in or commitment to working with students of diverse backgrounds is required
- Teaching experience at the college or university level in a student-centered environment is preferred
- Work experience in the computer industry is highly desirable
- Engagement in professional and scholarly activities is desired
- Evidence of collegial teamwork, including collaboration with colleagues across traditional disciplinary boundaries is desired
Workload: Full-time; up to 24 units of teaching per academic year
Hire Date: Open until filled.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
- Ability to collaborate with other faculty and staff and maintain collegial relations.
- Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Candidates must align with Azusa Pacific University's Christian identity. Faculty members are expected to sign a Statement of Faith (available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe), to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook, and to integrate the Christian faith in teaching and scholarship.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.