Dean of the School for Graduate Studies
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College seeks applications for an inspiring, experienced, and accomplished leader to serve as Dean of the School for Graduate Studies. The Dean is the main spokesperson for the School for Graduate Studies and has primary responsibility for administration of the college’s graduate programs. The School for Graduate Studies is dynamic, growing, and dedicated to providing high quality graduate education. The School offers master’s programs and graduate certificates in business, management and leadership; teaching and learning; policy and community development; and liberal studies. The School is exploring opportunities for growth, including through professional doctorates.
Graduate courses are offered mostly online with some residency, blended learning, and independent studies options incorporated into degree programs. Faculty in the School for Graduate Studies are located throughout New York State with most being concentrated in Saratoga Springs and New York City. The college is a pioneer in serving adult learners, the assessment of prior learning, and in providing online and blended learning opportunities. A highly distributed organization, Empire State College makes extensive use of a variety of technologies for communication, teaching and learning, and administrative purposes.
The Dean will work closely with senior academic administrators, Dean and Associate Dean colleagues, and members of the School for Graduate Studies to develop and implement a shared vision for the School. An Associate Dean of The School for Graduate Studies assists the Dean with day-to-day operations of the School. The successful candidate will be an active and effective advocate for the School, and for graduate faculty, both within Empire State College and in the larger community in New York State and beyond. The Dean of The School for Graduate Studies will engage in outreach to potential academic partners and represent the School to local communities and businesses.
Given the nature of this role, candidates should possess a larger understanding of the role of graduate studies in society along with an ability to mobilize administration, faculty, and staff to develop and take advantage of opportunities for the college. Accordingly, the desired candidate will present evidence of capability in the following areas: (a) strategic planning, in both development and implementation; (b) encouraging and supporting a diverse faculty and staff to remain current in their fields, to be responsive to student needs, and to experience professional enrichment and satisfaction; (c) ensuring that attention to program quality and development are effectively balanced and pursued; (d) developing and maintaining an environment committed to the achievement of student success and satisfaction; (e) collaborating effectively with management, professional, and support staff across the college, e.g., in marketing, finance, and HR, to promote the achievement of the academic unit’s goals; and (f) balancing the complex role of leadership – with its emphasis on strategic planning, vision, outreach, and cultivating a culture that is motivating, inclusive, and team-oriented – with sound managerial and operational capability, which includes the implementation and oversight of systems and practices related to budgeting, resource allocation, productivity, distribution of responsibility, and supervision.
Responsibilities of the Dean for The School for Graduate Studies include:
- Supervision of full and part time faculty
- Facilitating new program development and working with faculty to ensure ongoing program quality
- Budget development and management
- Oversight of operational processes in the School for Graduate Studies
- Strategic planning, in conjunction with college-wide strategic and academic plans
- Participation in Provost’s Cabinet and Provost’s Council
- Developing partnerships with educational institutions and with public and private entities
- Representing the college and the School for Graduate Studies to external stakeholders
- Ensuring adherence to all relevant college, state, and federal policies and regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- A terminal degree from a regionally accredited U.S. university or comparable non-U.S. university
- College-level teaching experience, preferably at the graduate level
- A record of scholarly achievement consistent with the rank of advanced Associate or Full Professor
- Familiarity with accreditation procedures, processes, and policies
- 3 years’ experience as an associate dean or program/department chair, or equivalent, preferably at the graduate level
- Demonstrated success with strategic planning initiatives throughout the planning lifecycle
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult learning
- Experience in online and blended teaching formats
- Experience in a role involving the supervision of faculty
- Experience working in a collective bargaining environment
- Program development experience
- Track record of partnership development
- Record of successful grant applications and administration
- This position is located in Saratoga Springs, NY
- Travel and overnights to regions with other Empire State College locations is required, along with occasional evening and weekend obligations.
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Applications Due: Open until filled, application review will begin immediately.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security