Dean of Nursing & Health Professions
Chaminade University of Honolulu seeks Dean of Nursing & Health Professions
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi
Click here to view position profile: https://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Chaminade_DON_Profile.pdf
Chaminade seeks candidates to join its community of teaching scholars who are passionate about nursing, excited about exploring allied health, and thrive in a creative and caring work environment. In keeping with the Catholic and Marianist mission of Chaminade University to develop men and women in service to the community, the School of Nursing builds on a tradition of innovation and a commitment to provide the very best value-centered education, scholarship, and professional services locally, nationally, and internationally. The School of Nursing is committed to leadership in nursing and is positioned to build capacity in research and evidence-based practice in the next phase of its development. A belief that caring and cultural competency are essential domains of nursing knowledge guides its focus of educating the whole person. Its model of relating theory to practice with a special view towards vulnerable populations and cultural differences illustrates the importance of each person’s contribution to the accomplishment of the mission and goals of this School. Guiding the School of Nursing to the next level of its development is a key focus for the next Dean. This involves multi-level, multi-faceted efforts to advance curriculum, student support, faculty development, new program development, fundraising and community relations. The Dean’s work will be supported by an excellent Office of Advancement and a newly formed Office of Innovation & Strategy, which acts as an in-house incubator for new academic programs, stakeholder partnerships, and pursuit of Federal grant funding.
The Dean of Nursing and Health Professions serves as the School’s academic leader and, in collaboration with faculty and staff, is responsible for:
- Providing visionary leadership in a collaborative and transparent style for the on-going development of the School of Nursing, its resources, programs, faculty, and future directions;
- Developing, implementing, supporting, and evaluating academic programs to address local and national market and community needs, including the development of new graduate program(s) in nursing, expansion into a limited portfolio of allied health programs, and diversification of academic offerings to include certificate and training opportunities;
- Developing and implementing policies to meet the needs of a diverse and growing student population and accrediting bodies;
- Fostering and developing community relationships, partnerships, and collaborative programs;
- Fostering a culture of faculty scholarship in nursing research, practice, and education;
- Preparing and administering the budget and working collaboratively with the Offices of Advancement and Strategy & Innovation in pursuit of transformational financial resources in support of the School;
- Guiding the recruitment, appointment, retention, promotion, development, and long-term success of a diverse and accomplished faculty and staff; including provision of leadership in formal and informal faculty mentoring;
- Establishing and/or maintaining professional relationships and partnerships between the School of Nursing, local, regional, national and international healthcare agencies, and other external organizations;
- Serving as the liaison between the School of Nursing and the central administration of Chaminade University;
- Linking the School of Nursing to other constituencies in the institution and in the community.
- Doctorate in Nursing or related discipline from an accredited university;
- A record of providing administrative leadership, vision, and energy in nurturing and developing nursing and/or health professions programs;
- Program development experience; • History of teaching, scholarship, and service suitable for a tenure track position; the ability to foster faculty scholarship;
- Desire to take the lead to create or seize opportunities associated with changes in graduate and undergraduate education, including the delivery of healthcare and technology in an increasingly competitive and rapidly evolving world environment;
- Knowledge of emerging opportunities related to health inequity and the developing role of the nurse and other health professionals;
- Fiduciary and budget management skills; • An understanding of the role of information technology in educating the next generation of nurses;
- An ability to advocate effectively for the profession within the university and at the local, state, national and international levels;
- A willingness to assume a limited teaching load commensurate with the Dean’s position responsibilities;
- Becoming licensed in Hawai‘i or eligible for Hawai’i RN licensure.
- Track record of successful academic program development;
- Experience in grant acquisition, fundraising, partnership development;
- Experience with non-degree and certificate program offerings;
- Experience with CCNE accreditation preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and values of the University as a Catholic and Marianist institution;
- Willingness to play a role that involves both strategic leadership and hands-on work;
- A record of and commitment to working with diverse populations of students, faculty, patients and the community;
- Potential to engage in an authentic way with the mission of serving Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander communities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- A collaborative management and leadership style that empowers faculty.
About Chaminade University
As the only Catholic University in Hawaiʻi, and one of three Marianist higher-education institutions in the U.S., Chaminade University is guided by the understanding that both reason and faith are essential conditions in the pursuit of truth. Chaminade’s community is a family where students mature into world citizens who respect the complexity and diversity of others, value community service and strive to create a more just society. Its faculty emphasizes critical thinking and creative problem solving while mentoring students in more than 28 undergraduate and graduate programs in the fine arts and humanities, sciences and mathematics, business and communication, education and behavioral sciences, and nursing.
Dr. Lynn Babington, appointed as the University’s tenth President in 2017, is passionate about the role of education in transforming society and seeks a Provost who shares this vision. The University is focused on building partnerships and creating innovative academic programs that are excellent and relevant in today’s world while preparing students to be future leaders in an ever-changing global community. The next Provost of Chaminade University will have bold aspirations and possess a spirit of collaboration to work with internal and external stakeholders to create innovative programs that prepare students to be critical thinkers and creative problem solvers. The Provost will be a key leader in a time of significant institutional change.
Located in the international city of Honolulu on the island of Oʻahu, Chaminade is regarded for its remarkably diverse student body––students come from Hawaiʻi, the mainland U.S., the Pacific region, and beyond. Class sizes are small, with a low student-to-faculty ratio. Students develop professionally through service learning projects, research and internship experiences, and leadership and community networking opportunities. At Chaminade, students receive a personalized and values-based education that prepares them for an ever-changing future in the global community. To learn more, see: https://chaminade.edu/about/
The University will provide a competitive salary and benefits including relocation. This is an 11-month position and includes a three-year renewable contract.
Procedure for Candidacy
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by January 13, 2019 will be given first consideration. Please submit a PDF version of your CV/resume and cover letter outlining your interest and suitability for this position.
To apply online: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su131
For nominations or further information:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Direct: (585) 880-7550
Chaminade University does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, and disability in accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1991. Chaminade University does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, arrest and court record, and National Guard participation, as well as on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, and disability, in accordance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Americans with Disabilities Act of 1991, Equal Pay Act of 1963, and HRS Chapter 378.