Physics Tenure-Track Faculty
Salary Depends on Qualifications
Location Champaign, IL
Job Type Full-Time, Faculty, Tenure-Track
Department Academic Services
Job Number PhysicsFac11.28.18
One of the largest employers in our area, Parkland faculty and staff are united in their passion for serving students. In addition to competitive salaries and robust benefits, you will enjoy the support, commitment to professional development, and collegial relationships that you will find here.
Parkland College is a fully accredited, public community college established to serve the needs of District 505, the third largest community college district in Illinois. Our college is a center for educational opportunity and community enrichment in east central Illinois and has earned a national reputation for its excellent academic standards, innovative programs, and quality instruction.
At Parkland we celebrate the diversity in both our community and our world. Our goal is to recognize, promote, utilize, and educate one another regarding the unique qualities and shared humanity of our people and cultures.
Parkland is now hiring for FALL 2019. Courses taught will be general education physics courses. Tenure-Track Faculty teach a full-time load as per the Parkland Academic Employees (PAE) bargaining agreement. Tenure-Track Faculty advise and mentor students, and participate in governance of their departments and the college.
Applicants must submit:
- An online Parkland College employment application
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- Official transcripts from the institution where you received your highest degree.
- Teaching philosophy
Essential Job Functions
- Provide classroom instruction in accordance with the stated philosophy, objectives, and established course outlines of the college and department.
- Inform students of course regulations, evaluation procedures, and other information pertinent to the course; prepares a course syllabus for each course and distributes it early in each term.
- Is available for student advising/mentoring.
- Maintain regular office hours to ensure availability for student consultation; provides assistance to students in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate scholastic records of students; submits required reports on student progress according to published deadlines.
- Work closely with department chair to design, maintain, and updated course curriculum and materials for assigned courses.
- Perform professional duties in accordance with the established policies and procedures of the college and department.
- Participate in departmental governance, including curriculum development, instructional materials selection, and academic assessment.
- Participate in college-wide shared governance, including Parkland College Association (PCA) Senate, its committees, administrative committees, and accreditation committees.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Foster and maintain a collegial, equitable, and collaborative work environment in which all team members have a shared understanding of the mission of the institution and clear expectations of their responsibilities in that mission and accountability for those responsibilities.
- Participate in professional development activities related to discipline knowledge and/or teaching skills.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the department chair.
- Master's degree in Physics or Master's in a related field and eighteen (18) graduate semester hours in the Physics. Degree must be conferred by August 12, 2019.
- Knowledge of trends, developments, new technologies affecting Physics.
- Pass a background check which includes an employment history and criminal history check with finger printing.
- Teaching or community college teaching experience or post-secondary teaching experience.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and ability to engage professionally with a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, and other members of the campus community.
- Ability to professionally engage in positive working relationships with members of the Parkland College community and members of the public.
- Ability to learn the Parkland information system and new programs as technology changes.
- Ph. D. in Physics
All benefits outlined below are described in more detail in the
Parkland Academic Employees (PAE) Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Medical, Dental & Pharmacy Insurance
Parkland currently offers one health insurance plan option to full-time employees. The plan is a Qualified High Deductible Health Plan (QHDHP) with in-network deductibles of $4,000 for single coverage and $6,000 for family coverage. A separate deductible will apply for out of network providers. No monthly premium is charged for enrolling in the medical plan. Prescription benefits are included under the medical plan and are subject to the annual deductible.
A dental plan is offered separately to full-time employees. There is no cost for employee only coverage. A premium of $4.50/month is charged for family coverage. Preventive services are covered at 100%, general services at 80% and major services and orthodontics are covered at 50%. There is a plan year maximum benefit of $2,000 per person as well as a lifetime orthodontic benefit of $2,000.
Schedules of benefits for both the medical and dental plans are available through Human Resources. Employees are not required to enroll in the Parkland College medical and/or dental plans and do have the opportunity to make enrollment changes during Open Enrollment each year or if a qualifying event occurs. Please refer to the Summary Plan Description for more information.
Flexible Spending Account/Dependent Day Care Account
Parkland College provides full-time employees the opportunity to have pre-tax payroll deductions deposited into a Medical Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or a Dependent Day Care Account. Funds deducted for these accounts may only be reimbursed to the employee for eligible health or child care expenses as defined by the IRS. The annual maximum contribution for the Medical FSA is $2,600 and the annual maximum contribution for the Dependent Day Care Account is $5,000.
Enrollment in the Qualified High Deductible Health Plan may make an employee eligible to enroll in a Health Savings Account on an individual basis. Please see a Benefits Team member for more information.
Parkland provides twice the base salary in basic term life insurance benefits at no cost to the employee. This policy is double indemnity and has portability provisions if the employee separates from employment. During the first 30 days of employment the plan provides a guaranteed issue period where the employee may elect up to $150,000 in supplemental coverage for themselves and $100,000 in supplemental coverage for a spouse, no questions asked. Any coverage above those amounts or after the guaranteed issue period ends, will be subject to evidence of insurability. Child Optional Benefits can also be purchased in increments of $2,500 to a maximum of $10,000. Premium rates for supplemental coverage are available through Human Resources. Coverage is underwritten by Reliance Standard.
Long-Term Disability Coverage
The disability plan pays 60% of base salary after a 90 day elimination period. Coverage is underwritten by the Reliance Standard. This plan is provided at no cost to benefit eligible, full-time employees.
State Universities Retirement System (SURS)
Eligible employees will be certified in the State Universities Retirement System (SURS). A mandatory contribution of 8% will be deducted from gross pay. New members to SURS must choose from one of three retirement options within 6 months of their start date. This is a one time, lifetime, and irrevocable investment election. Failure to make an election within the 6 month time period will result in a default election to the Traditional plan. More detailed information will be provided by SURS soon after your start date. Information can also be found via their website at www.surs.org.
In addition to the 8% contribution to SURS, full-time community college employees in the State of Illinois also contribute .5% to the College Insurance Program for retirees.
Additional retirement savings options are available for employees via pre-tax payroll deductions to 403(b) and 457(b) plans. Account applications and salary reduction agreements are available in Human Resources. For additional information, schedule an appointment with the Benefits & Compensation Manager. There is no employer match for 403(b) or 457(b) contributions.
Paid Time Off
Parkland Academic Employees accrue sick and personal leave as defined under the collective bargaining agreement. Sick and personal leave are granted up front at the beginning of the academic year.
Sick leave - 13 days per contract year, granted on the first day of the academic year. Employees starting mid-year will accrue a pro-rated amount for the remainder of the academic year. PAE employees on a 215-day contract will earn 14 days per contract year. Sick leave will be granted to PAE members for summer employment at the rate of one-half day for half-time employment, and one day for full-time employment. Sick leave is not subject to carryover limits.
Personal leave - 2 days per contract year, granted on the first day of the academic year. Employees starting mid-year will accrue a pro-rated amount for the remainder of the academic year. Bargaining unit members on 215-day contracts and those employed during the summer session will be permitted to use one additional day of their sick leave for personal leave purposes. PAE members may accumulate up to 4 personal leave days. Days in excess of 4 will roll to sick leave.
Bereavement leave is available in the event of the death of a member of the employee's family. See the Parkland Academic Employees collective bargaining agreement for more information.
- Domestic Partner benefits for same and opposite sex domestic partners.
- Wellness Reimbursement up to $200 per fiscal year for the development of an individualized weight loss or smoking cessation program as needed by the employee.
- Employee Assistance Program that offers free, confidential counseling services for employees and members of their household.
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- Corporate Memberships at local fitness centers including The Fitness Center, Refinery and Mettler Center. Please contact these facilities directly for membership rates.
- Free use of Fitness Center on Parkland Campus via registration in the non-credit course for Fitness Center use and submission of a tuition waiver.
- Employee and Dependent Tuition Waivers for eligible Parkland courses.
01 How have you actively contributed or supported diversity and inclusiveness in the workplace?
* Required Question
Parkland College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.