Job ID: 24673
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8350
Department: UPD Field Operations
Classification: Police Officer
Salary Range: $4,682/month - $7,235/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Police Officers for the San Jos State University Police Department are fully sworn State of California peace officers per 830.2(c) PC and are part of the California State University Police system. Officers have full peace officer powers anywhere in California. The incumbent will respond to calls for service on and around the SJSU campus. Through preventive patrol by vehicle, bicycle, motorcycle and foot, officers enforce state laws, city ordinances and university regulations. Police Officers conduct criminal and traffic investigations, make arrests, prepare necessary documents and testify in court. Officers also provide for the safety and security of the campus community. The work environment for Police Officers varies throughout the work shift and includes working outdoors, in an office setting and in a motor vehicle. Work shifts will vary and will include nights/weekends throughout the calendar year. University Police Officers must meet all the appropriate physical demands as defined by POST.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Patrol campus buildings and grounds by foot or by vehicle.
- Control crowds during assemblies or disturbances.
- Enforce laws and traffic regulations and apprehend violators, which include enforcing parking regulations and issuing traffic citations.
- Investigate and prepare reports on accidents, property damage, fires, law violations, and disturbances of the peace.
- Gather evidence, make arrests and appear in court as required.
- Administer first aid to injured persons.
- Police Officers may receive training and/or be delegated responsibility for additional work assignments
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited or approved U.S. high school or equivalent
- US citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship
- For out-of-state applicants, a copy of the California POST waiver document or; have been employed by a California law enforcement agency as a police officer/deputy within the last 3 years.
- Graduation from a California POST certified Basic Police Academy within the last 3 years or; Possess a valid California POST Basic Certificate. For out-of-state applicants, a copy of the California POST waiver document or; Have been employed by a California law enforcement agency as a police officer/deputy within the last 3 years.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment to a sworn position
- Must have a valid California drivers license
- Minimum passing T-score of 320 on the WSTB physical agility test
Please note that the San Jose State University Police Department DOES NOT administer the physical agility test. Applicants are required to complete this test and the remaining minimum requirements BEFORE applying for the position of Police Officer. For further information, please visit http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
Applicants must also meet the following California Government Code requirements, including pre-employment polygraph, psychological and medical examinations:
- Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation (Government Code Section 1031(d)).
- Be free of any felony conviction and be free of any misdemeanor crime containing the elements of domestic violence (Government Code Section 1029(a)(1)).
- Be free from any physical, emotional and mental condition which might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer. (Government Code Section 1031(f)).
- Minimum passing T-score of 320 on the WSTB physical agility test. (http://eventbrite.com/org/148774180?s=1102042). Score must be dated within one year of applying to this position. Please note that the San Jose State University Police Department DOES NOT administer the physical agility test. Applicants are required to complete this test and the remaining minimum requirements BEFORE applying for the position of Police Officer. For further information, please visit http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- 60 semester college units or equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
- Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of current law enforcement methods, techniques and procedures, criminal codes and laws, and investigating techniques and procedures.
- Effective interpersonal skills to resolve a wide variety of sensitive situations
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to write clear and comprehensive reports
- Ability to think and act effectively in emergency and sensitive situations
- Ability to wear a uniform and utility belt with authorization to wear a gun at all times
- Ability to maintain composure in highly stressful and sometimes volatile situations.
- Ability to perform in a detailed-oriented environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communication with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU and SJSU policies and procedures
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to meet the following California Government Code requirements, including pre-employment polygraph, psychological, and medical examinations.
- Ability to be free of any felony conviction and be free of any misdemeanor crime containing the elements of domestic violence (Government Code Section 1029(a) (1)).
- Ability to be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation Government Code Section 1031(d)).
- Ability to be free of any physical, emotional, and mental conditions that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer (Government Code Section1031 (f)).
July 31, 2018
Application Screening begins August 17, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of Interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please send the following items directly to [email protected]
- POST Basic Certificate or proof of completion of the Police Academy or POST waiver document
- WSTB Score
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application to apply, please visit our website at: http://www.sjsu.edu/up/careers/staff_jobs/index.html
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046