Senior Student Services Specialist
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Enrollment Management and Retention Division - Graduate Enrollment Management, Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships, the Office of the Registrar, the Office of Student Financial Assistance, Undergraduate Admissions, Strategic Enrollment Initiatives, International Enrollment, and Enrollment Retention - works to enroll, retain, and graduate an ever more passionate, academically talented and diverse student body. Through the formal unification of our units, we have focused on building an organization that recognizes the distinct roles and expertise of each individual department, while also identifying and leveraging opportunities for collaboration. Most important, our goal is to ensure an outstanding experience for students - prospective and current.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Student Services, the Senior Student Services Specialist is responsible for the following:
- Serves as a back-up if the Assistant Director is not available.
- Takes escalated inquiries and handles a more complex set of inquiries than Specialists to assists students and families with navigating GW's administrative processes related to financial aid, billing and registration.
- Informs students and families of important dates and deadlines, requirements for financial aid, and payment options including the monthly payment plan.
- Explains transactions on the bill and helps students to use our online self-service resources.
- Partners with staff members in Student Financial Assistance, Student Accounts, Registrar, and GWorld to resolve student issues at the first point of contact when possible.
- Provides extraordinary customer service through accurate communication, analytical research, and conflict resolution.
- Assists the Assistant Director to identify trends in customer inquiries, opportunities for process and service enhancements, develop and deliver ongoing staff training.
- The position will also assist with updating web content and social media accounts.
The position is based at GW's Virginia Science & Technology campus in Ashburn, VA but will require travel to the Foggy Bottom campus located in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Progressive financial services, registration, or financial aid counseling experience.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve complex student services cases.
- Demonstrated team player with excellent leadership, customer service, communication, and mentoring skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills as demonstrated by defusing tense customer interactions within the entire team.
- Flexible and available to work varied shifts (evenings and weekends) during peak periods.
- In depth knowledge of Banner (enterprise software), Microsoft Office Suite, document imaging databases, and billing systems preferred.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Ashburn, Virginia College/School/Department: Enrollment Management Family Enrollment Services Sub-Family Generalists Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: M-F 8:30AM - 5:30PM; Some Nights & Weekends Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007798 Job Open Date: 11/26/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you currently work at GW?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter