Center Student Services Specialist (Hanford)
Under the direction of the Provost, COS Hanford Educational Center, in cooperation with Student Services Deans, the Center Student Services Specialist will perform a variety of student services by providing enrollment, academic, and career information to pre-college and college students.
The individual in this position will be responsible for providing information to students, prospective students and the general public thus the incumbent must be cross-trained in all student services areas to include:
•Financial Aid Services
•Admissions & Records Services
•Student Financial Services
•Disabled Student Services
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Job duties of the Center Student Services Specialist include:
•Serve as first contact in person or over the phone for the public including prospective students, community members, and current students.
•Administer student assessment instruments to determine strengths and weaknesses of students.
•Collaborate with appropriate staff to score assessment instruments; determine appropriate course placement based upon assessment scores.
•Assist in providing related information for general college preparation, financial aid, EOP&S, and Access & Ability Center, and other student activity and student support services of the college.
•Explain the process for applying to colleges, seeking financial aid and accessing other services.
•Assist students in the college enrollment process.
•Participate with others, including other programs in activities such as career fairs and college visitations.
•Understand the registration process and make appropriate referrals for study assistance and registration.
•Answer questions and provide information regarding all offered tests.
•Assist students in completing FAFSA Form and explaining financial aid policies and procedures and federal rules and regulations.
•Assist students in locating external scholarship sources.
•Assist with making appropriate service/resource referrals to DRC.
•Assist in the development and presentation of special activities to promote financial aid, registration, admissions, etc., information to internal and external groups.
•Assist students in accessing various personal records and resources via the website; Print transcripts.
•Coordinate with Financial Aid to assure that EOP&S / CARE students receive the correct amount of financial aid assistance; monitor EOP&S/CARE Book Service/ Voucher Grant program.
•Assist with creation, delivery and evaluation of internal center procedures.
•Serve as cashier for the Center.
•Assist with planning and coordinating special events such as guest speakers, field trips, workshops, and college orientations programs
•Direct students to appropriate campus support services.
•Train and provide work direction to student workers.
•Utilize the District's integrated software in performing the required duties of the position.
•Serve on committees and special projects/assignments and perform duties as required.
•Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education & Experience):
Any combination equivalent to:
•graduation from high school supplemented by college-level course work in business or related field and
•two years of progressively responsible experience in a student services area.
- Indoor/Outdoor environment.
- Extensive contact with students/staff/public.
- Weekend/Evening hours as needed.
- Ability to read documents.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift moderately heavy objects.
- Ability to operate computer and office equipment.
Knowledge and Abilities
The hiring committee is seeking evidence of the following:
- Student Services programs
- Oral and written communications skills
- Record-keeping techniques
- College admission procedures
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
- Word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software
- Telephone techniques and etiquette
- To communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrate courtesy and tact in dealing with numerous members of the professional and academic communities
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Provide support for a variety of services and activities to assist students their academic achievement and personal growth
- Maintain records and prepare reports
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Operate a computer and assigned software
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit:
- An online job application.
- Letter of interest which addresses how the applicant's experience and/or education enables him/her to be able to perform the job duties.
- Copies of transcripts (officials required upon employment)